1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheshire/North Wales

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Joel_W, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Joel_W

Joel_W New Member

ok, i recently passed my driving test and am now mobile so was wondering, are there any really great photography spots worth travelling to in cheshire or north wales? thanks for any info - Joel

2. templejohn

templejohn Well-Known Member

Why Cheshire or even North Wales, now that you have passed your test ,The Worlds your Lobster.""" ;) ;) ;) ;)

3. Joel_W

Joel_W New Member

i dont know really, i guess mainly coz time is a bit of an issue. I dont have a lot of spare time so would have to be somewhere near really. im near crewe, so if anyone has any suggestions for nice places within reasonable distance then i would really apreciate it. thanks, Joel

4. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

There's Mountains/Hills/Forest/Lakes/Snowdon/Various Steam Railways/Canal Boat over the bridge/RAF or USAF flying over during Mon-Fri/Castle/Seaside so forth..so much to take photo in North Wales.

But watch out for the speed cameras! ;)

Have fun and drive safe!

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

You could add the Clocaenog Forest and around Llangollen to all Marcus's suggestions. Chester is very photogenic. Up at Connagh's Quay and Queensferry the oil refineries look great in late evening light. Why not also head in the opposite direction. There's some fabulous places up in the hills above Leek.

Just go and investigate is the best advice. See what takes your eye.

6. ICE

ICE Well-Known Member

Hey try were I am Rossendale lots of rolling hills and lakes

7. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

The key questions: what are your interests? Landscape, architecture, events .... How far do you want to travel? When - now, winter Spring?

I grew up in mid Cheshire some time in the middle of the last century and spent a l.o.t. of time in N. Wales.

You could start with Chester. Or the super canals in S. Cheshire (Ellesmere, etc) but Spring is best. Gawsworth & Little Moreton (closed for winter). Alderley Edge old coppermines and cliffs. The Roaches (Lud's Church) ... Llangollen & the Horsehoe Pass Old Road (or the tiny road up to World's End). If you can make a weekend in Snowdonia don't miss Porthmeirion - it's a bit more photogenic than the mountains ..........

Just write/phone the tourist boards for their free guides, they're a good starter for photo ideas.

By all means go to Rossendale (look up my relatives) but then push on the the Trough of Bowland - it's a small but remote part of Lancashire.

.A.

8. liverbus

liverbus Well-Known Member

Im in wrexham, not much in the way of photogenic scenecery unless your into chav snapping but as Tacitus said maybe try the old horse pass. despite the vicious sheep its a nice place to go for scenery. i do a lot of night flash photos so i like to shoot in the sticks if i can get there.
    but it does also depend on your interests and whether your trying to meet a certain criteria, go where you think is suitable :)

9. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

here is a view from the horseshoe pass
    [​IMG]

If you want to see images from your area goto a photosite like flickr and you can look on a map at images or just search cheshire or something like that? cheers !

10. ChrisBrookes

vicious sheep !!! noooooooooooo they are lovely and will dance for you is you ask them !

[​IMG]

11. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Presumably the rhum-baaaaahh! :)

12. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you most like taking photos of.

Mow Cop.
    Beeston Castle.
    Hilbre Island.
    The Clwydian Hills, Moel Famau.
    The Llangollen & Shropshire Union canals, though there's not much traffic in Winter.
    There is a signed walk through the Clywedog valley, near Wrexham. Old mines and mills as well as trees.

If you like rivers try to get hold of a copy of Jim Perrin's book River Map, with photos by John Beatty. It follows the River Dee from the estuary to the source, and might inspire.

Chester and Stoke have bags of character (of different kinds) if urban photos are your thing.

I'd suggest you don't watch for speed cameras, just drive within the speed limit (not as difficult as it sounds).

Simon.

13. liverbus

Hahaha, :D one walked across the road dodging bikes and cars to try and get through the window of my boyfreinds car. it looked determined to get in.

14. ChrisBrookes

LOL !! if you go up there with a loaf of bread they will trample all over you !
    [​IMG]

I did not take this picture I am in the picture

15. liverbus

check these possesed sheep. and they have to have handlers!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/ashparry/DSCF0032.jpg

<span style="color:red"> Image changed to a link due to excesssive size - please read posting guidelines. Thanks, Moderator. </span>

16. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

If you like architecture:

Erdding Hall nr Wrecsam
    Chirk Castle
    Plas Newydd in Llangollen
    Ruthin - generally
    Denbigh Castle
    Conwy Castle and Harbour
    Jesse Window in the church in Llanrhaeadr YM

Landscapes - plenty of vantage points from the A55 or A494

The A525 road when it leaves the Nant-y-Garth Pass at Llysfasi gives you absolutely stunning views of the Clwydian hills in the early evening light.

Further south there is Powys Castle and the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway...

PS I recognise the sheep - I hope you were nice to Baaa-bara :D

17. meirion

meirion Well-Known Member

I'm in Chirk which could possibly be called the gateway to Wales on the A5. 5 miles from me is Llangollen where you'd have to spend at least a full day in order to take advantage of all available opportunities, the canal runs through my back yard, the Welsh dee is a stone's throw away. Follow the A5 along it's winding course and if the weather is right you'll find some of the most stunning landscapes in the UK. Snowdonia would take at least a week to get around. Port Meirion is mad. Do the A5 trip and you won't be disappointed, that's a promise!

18. coolasacucumber2

coolasacucumber2 Well-Known Member

Noticed a few of you live in wrexham and chirk and cheshire, what about we form a photography day out once a month or so? The snowdonia area isnt too far. Sometimes we all need a bit of a push to get out there and take some photo`s so maybe this could be it !!