1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change to Kew Meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

My commiserations. It's coming up to a year since our last cat went. Mind you, he was 18 and had spent the previous 17 years systematically using up the other eight lives. Still lots of pics to remember him by. Here he is a youngster...

[​IMG]

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this

3. LesleySM

It certainly does- I just sent you a text, I'm not going to chance it, I think it's just down to having to favour the right leg when the left was bad but it keeps giving me these sharp stabs of pain if I try to walk any faster than very slowly. I would chance it but with the cats (and Dave) being dependant on having someone who can walk to the shops not to mention if I really bust it and have to call in sick, I'll make the new manager very happy (managers like to make their mark and shoving someone through formal sickness monitoring is their idea of doing so) I don't think it's a good idea.

Still return to Kew, then Oxford and maybe Mile End cemetary park in the spring? One we get the dates finalised perhaps we can get a t-shirt done "AP Forumites Tour 2015"

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK.

Unless anyone else who hasn't posted so far wants to come along I shall call this meet off:mad:. I'll check before turning in tonight and make a decision.

Thinks.....

Kew in winter, providing it's reasonably dry can be very architectural, with the bare trees.

I think December is out as the days are too short, but maybe Jan or Feb could be do-able.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

We could probably do Jan-Feb (though as we've just dumped on you over this weekend, I'm not going to promise anything.

Once I get back from a weekend offline I'll start sorting an Oxford trip - April might be good, not too many tourists!

Adrian

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

We'll keep Jan / Feb open but I don't want to make plans too early, I think that's what scuppered this meet. Given that some of us are dependent on public transport to get to Kew all it needs is for TfL to start playing silly buggers and here we go again.

7. LesleySM

Jan/Feb sounds fine to me I imagine in Jan the trees should still be pretty bare. Oxford say Easter, and if anyone is up for it maybe you'd like to come and shoot in my local ecology park/cemetary after that- nice line in Victorian gravestones, wrought iron etc.

We now have to design a logo for the t-shirt

PS I was right to cancel- my ankle has collapsed from under me a couple of times and whilst it's not hurting now I don't think I could have done the walk for 5 hours and even if I did I'd have to walk so slowly I might have got a mile in 5 hours

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I checked the TfL site, and looking at their schedule for the next 6 months Jan and Feb look OK for the District and Piccadilly lines, though the Overground has multiple closures.

Take it easy and look after your ankle Lesley, and I hope it clears up soon.

OK, since no-one's come back to say they're coming we can all sleep in tomorrow morning.

Let's start by thinking back end of Jan and take it from there.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  9. Richardsneddon

Richardsneddon Active Member

If there is ever a possibility of this happening, or any other meet ups I would gladly participate I live in Ruislip and need some like minded photographer people to explore with, getting fed up going out on my own.

10. LesleySM

At the moment DaveS is talking about a return to Kew in the summer and I may be organising a meet for Tower Hamlets cemetery/ecology park if we get 10 people we can have one of the volunteers show us round for free (donations appreciated)

11. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

I'd be up for both Kew & your London Walk Lesley :D

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, I'll start a new thread that can be pinned. Not sure of a date yet, will have to check TfL and Kew, they often have "events" happening in summer that can throw plans out.

Probably the same general plan, Victoria Gate then clockwise this time. May meet up 11 o/c as we did for Oxford to give people a chance if they're coming a way.

13. LesleySM

Hopefully I can make this one DaveS

I'll look into Tower Hamlets cemetary as a possible

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

SNAFU :mad:

I've just checked the TfL site, and it looks like they're digging up the District Line every weekend through May into July. It doesn't go as far as August yet, but what's the betting :mad:

Could also make getting to the East-End problematic.

OK, checked further ahead. 1/2 Aug looks do-able, as does 8/9 Aug. On the 4th, 5th 11, 12th July they're only digging up the far eastern end on the District so may be do-able for Lesley

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  15. LesleySM

Mile End where we would meet for the cemetery/ecology park is also on the Central Line

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks Lesley, I guess I'm not that familiar with the eastern end of the Tube :eek:.

So Piccadilly line and change at Tottenham Court Road for the Central then.

17. LesleySM

Even better change at Holborn- Tottenham Court Road is such a maze at the best of times and right now with the Crossrail works it's even worse.

If I wanted Tottenham Court Road itself in the past I'd get out at Holborn and walk from there as it was quicker than trying to get out of Tottenham Court Road station itself