1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change to Kew Meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

As a result of TfL paying silly buggers I have had to put the meet back to Sat 22nd Nov.

Please make a note of this, and don't turn up on the 11th as there will be no one there.

Possible earlier start and finish due to the shortening day.

2. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I could be interested in this - Kew is only a 15 minute walk away from my house.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Come along!

Meet at the Victoria Gate and work our way round clockwise. Possible lunch at The White Peaks then back to the Victoria Gate.

Precise times to be worked out nearer the day, but possibly 10 o/c start and 3.30 finish.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately SWMBO and I won't be able to make it now. Definitely up for another one in spring, though!

Anyone fancy an Oxford meet in the spring as well?

Adrian

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Sorry you can't make it but an Oxford meet sounds like a plan to me. Haven't been there for ages but lovely buildings and my 10-20 wide angle could do with getting out more often. I could also offer an East London walk in the spring- this time we could do the cemetary (and the bits we missed on the last one)

Fingers crossed for me for Saturday. I busted my leg Thursday, don't know how I stood up suddenly and the top of my left calf went into spasm. I could barely walk for 2 days but today it's just stiff so I am being careful with it and hoping it'll be okay for Saturday

6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I'm up for Oxford in Spring. The last one was rather good some years ago and we did get into some good pubs.

This weekend I'll be in Portsmouth touring the Dockyard - Ships ahoy !

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Sadly the ongoing ill health of our cat means that I won't be able to attend on 22nd; however I'd be upfor Oxford in the spring; it's quite a cheap train ride for me to get there, and not too long a journey (via Reading) either. Been there a few times over the years and it would be good to visit again.

8. LesleySM

I'm still hoping to make it- I got 3 out of my 5 shortlists in the competition this year last time (and not one of them flowers). Problem is a busted knee (don't ask me how I did it, I stood up and somehow at first thought I'd pulled a muscle but that was last Thursday and since then it's sometimes okay and sometimes not) If I do come it may be a case of meeting at 10 then if I get left behind I'll catch up at the lunch stop or in the "Tap on the Line" after 3.30 i.e. don't let me slow people down

But fingers crossed it should be okay by then

9. LesleySM

And how is the cat doing? Perfectly understandable if either of mine was ill well they come first don't they. We've currently been taken over by an incredibly cocky brown and white 12-week old girl

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well, so far we have two of us turning up.

DaveS
    LesleySM

Anyone else?

God damn TfL for buggering up our schedule.

*sigh* the 22nd is two days after the 2nd anniversary of mum's death. Sunday I'll have to go to the crem, take some flowers for mum and dad's memorial, I missed several important dates during the move.

11. LesleySM

and i'm not sure myself-I can only walk short distances and that at a slow pace. Problem is my job doesn't help, I sit at my desk and it quickly stiffens up then when I stand up it haerdly supports my weight- if I walk for a few minutes the pain wears off a bit but I am not sure a marathon hike would be a good idea. As I say I hope to make it but I'll have to see nearer the weekend

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for you, but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen, not the end of the world. Perhaps the possible Oxford meet may be more successful.

I'm fairly easy with Saturday, as I have an Oyster card, so if I know by Friday afternoon / evening that'll be fine.

Do you still have my mobile number? You could text me, I'd be more likely to see that than a forum post.

13. LesleySM

I don't have your number. Tonight my leg seems to be settling down a lot-so I am provisionally up for it. A chance to walk round with someone who knows their stuff as in 1 to 1 tutition? Where do I sign? Could we make it say 10.30 (I'm a carer I might need a little bit more time to get there) and call it a day about 3? We can skip lunch if you're okay with that? Or just grab a sandwich and keep going? Just hoping the tube isn't going to play up my end it did last weekend and also my leg gets better but tonight it's just down to a dull ache is I sit still for too long

14. IvorETower

I could write a book, I think...
    After the life-saving trip to the vet in September, he put on half a kilo the first week he was back home, the he's been eating a little but not too enthusiastically for the past few weeks, still with a feeding tube in to give him medications (he's down to around 3kg now from just over 4kg at best, and about 3.5kg when the present dose of illness started).
    At the end of last week and over the week-end he almost stopped eating and I was getting very concerned. But on Sunday I tried some plain white fish again and he ate that with gusto, I then went out and found some hypo-allergenic sachets by Wainwrights and he seems to love those... half a sachet at intervals of at least 2 hours (thanks to our cat-loving neighbour for her help too) and he seems to be picking up again... quite for how much longer we don't know.

Thanks for asking, I'm sure he appreciates it
    (I'm still having to get up extra-early every morning to give him his first lot of medicines every day)

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

PM sent with number.

10.30 is fine by me, Grabing a sandwich on the hoof or bringing in a roll sounds a good idea, and I think a 3 o/c end will be as much as we want, given the longer journeys home.

Picadilly was buggered this morning, as was District. had to get in via Metropolitan and bus, took me half an hour more.

16. LesleySM

There's a sandwich bar just over the road from my place so I can pop in there and get them to make me something while I get some money out the cash machine next door then I can eat that on the train coming to Kew and that'll do me until the evening or as you say grabbing a snack on the hoof is fine

17. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

I can't make this Saturday.

I should be up for an Oxford meet in Spring. I live only a little over 20 miles from Oxford and know it reasonably well, but always find interesting subjects to photograph on every visit.

18. LesleySM

Would you believe it? My left leg is better so now my right ankle has started to play up! Will make a decision tomorrow but it keeps refusing to carry my weight and having seen me in the flesh I am sure Dave S wouldn't want to have to carry me if it broke down!

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Especially as I've had a duff left foot for a week or so. Nothing I can pin down, it feels like ligaments, possibly my shoes are getting worn down too much and throwing my posture out.

Does the word "jinxed" come to mind :mad:?

20. IvorETower

Our cat's hardly eaten for 2 days now after his burst of enthusiasm on Sunday-Monday. He's very poorly and lacking in energy :-(
    I fear that there's not long to go now