1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caught napping.

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I was out enjoying the warm weather this afternoon at Hollingworth Lake and came across this Heron having a nap in the sun shine. He certainly looked content. Caught_napping.jpg

EightBitTony, Catriona and SXH like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've read an article on grey herons somewhere recently. They spend an inordinate amount of time doing absolutely nothing. I though I read it in AP but now I'm not so sure.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Having seen one standing in a 6" river, staring at a brick wall for half an hour - it was there when I was going to do my shopping and it was still there when I returned! - it doesn't surprise me.

4. PeteRob

The article on the Grey Heron is in October 2018 edition of Bird Watching. Quite cleverly done they use a 2 page layout with heron to the left and a heron to the right with the storyline text overlayed on what appears to be a common lakeside background. The photo-credits are different for the two birds. Must be either an impressive photo-shop exercise or, more likely, two pictures from a similar viewpoint, a hide maybe, combined. Makes me think there must be thousands of grey heron photos on Alamy.

5. Pete Bony

You could well be right about the same bird being photographed from a different angle maybe even by a different photographer. Below is the same bird as the original photo taken from a different viewpoint after the sky had brightened up a little.
    Wide_awake.jpg

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There was a grey heron that was a regular visitor to the (fairly) recently opened River Roch in the centre of Rochdale during the Summer. For some reason I never got around to taking a picture of it, and now it seems to have vanished...it probably ended up being served by one of the dodgy fried chicken places opposite The Butts...

Cheers, Jeff

7. PeteRob

The time to have a camera is in March when they are dancing ! These are rather lacking in detail. I'll have to revisit the processing and see if I can recover a bit more, but they are quite hard crops.

[​IMG]BV9R0317.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

[​IMG]BV9R0316.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

SXH, RovingMike and saxacat like this.
  8. Pete Bony

Wonderful photos Pete. I see that I will have to concentrate my efforts photographing the herons at Hollingworth Lake in March!

9. PeteRob

It was a wonderful sight! I've been looking on-line for the last 30 mins or so and can't find another example or reference to courtship or territorial displays taking place on the water. The main references to courtship are related to behaviour on the nest. But I was sure I've seen the expression "herons dancing" written somewhere and when I saw this I immediately thought it was courtship. Now I'm not so sure that it wasn't a one-off between two males feeling stroppy. This was March 22nd 2015 at Conwy RSPB. The birds interacted for quite a few minutes. Thanks for kind words on the photos (which aren't sharp). I shouldn't have dropped them in your post. The thought was to show that sometimes they do more than stand-still!

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Pete, if you were to ask my other half, she'd probably suggest that I have quite a bit in common with the Grey Heron... :eek: ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 11:39 AM
  11. Pete Bony

Pete I'm glad that you did post them on this thread. It really does go to show/highlight the fact that there is much more to herons than just watching them just standing there for hours on end like statues. (Or garden ornaments)

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm probably the luckiest grey heron photographer in the world.

[​IMG]In For The Kill by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]One Big Fish by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Wriggler by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Skewered by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Repositioned by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]What fish? by Tony Evans, on Flickr

All shot across a canal with a 70-200mm. Had to sit and watch it for about an hour mind (and they're all from a burst as it caught the fish, just one fish, not lots of fishes). Knowing I'm never going to beat that sequence, I immediately gave up bird photography.

peterba and SXH like this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Whereas my best heron picture (the one of it sitting on a bungalow roof is pretty bad!) was taken with an old pocket camera with a short zoom...
    [​IMG]Heron by SteveH, on Flickr
    Yes, it's the one I mentioned before, standing doing nothing for ages.

I keep trying but I think the local avian life has me under surveillance and hides when I go out with a camera!

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well caught, Tony - excellent sequence!

About 10 years ago, I was doing a little bird photography, and I got a shot very similar to the first image in your sequence. In my shot, the wings were (IIRC) raised even higher, and were even more 'arched'. However, for some inexplicable reason, I didn't keep the shutter pressed, so I didn't get a sequence. o_O:confused: Oh well... at least I was quite pleased with the shot that I did get. :)

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Amazing sequence. Yes, forget it, there's nothing more to achieve there. You peaked too soon ;)

16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Wildlife has no concept of leisure activities. Why expend energy for no reason?

17. PeteRob

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. EightBitTony

I grew to hate that branch during the process though.

19. EightBitTony

Lovely shots! Much cleaner background than mine, which was my main frustration when I spotted the bird, about 100 feet down the canal it's a hell of a lot less busy!