1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalogues in AP

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by GeoffR, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I'm far more concerned with the amount of crap I get through the letter box and in newspapers. Most of the Saturday (ex) broadsheets are at least as big as the Sunday editions, with far too many supplements.

And don't get me started on the number of charity (or supposed charity) plastic bags received in an average week!
    :)

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I get more plastic bags through the letter box than from the supermarket. At least the supermarket ones are suitable for smelly rubbish to be stored in my twicemonthly emptied grey bin. The charity bags, and those dumped by companies pretending to be charities, are useless because of the 'pretend' safety holes. I would prefer the dumping of unsolicited so called charity bags be banned rather than the total ban on supermarket bags. For the really greens out there, let's allow unpunched supermarket bags for the fish and raw meat. Charge a quid tax for everything else.
    Sorry to go off subject; I'd forgotten that this wasn't the lounge. Back on track; Camera world's catalogue isn't a problem to anybody is it? We only have Wex to go. But do Wex need an AP Catalogue? Their adverts are surely enough. I suspect that without the Wex adverts our magazzine would cost us a lot more than it does.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Learning

You obviously have access to this interweb thingy so why buy printed newspapers. I guess that you pay for a TV licence so why not get your news from the BBC website. Do you really want to support anyone who owns a newspaper? They are worse than bankers.

4. Alex1994

Well, it's difficult to put the BBC's web pages on the floor of my parrot cage! :)

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

So, you must now be ready for the next stage - a personal visit to the shop! Been there, done it.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Last week some of us were complaining about the staples holding the catalogue in the issue of the AP. This week CameraWorld's "Gifts" is loose and is perhaps easier to read.

On p33 there's some revolutionary "news" that we should have been told. Did you know that the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MkII A3+ printer incorporates "Epsons LUT technology and Epson UltraChrome K3+ Ink" ? On the opposite page the Epson R2880 does even better - it gives you Vivid Magenta Ink as well, but has you paying extra for it. (£389 versus £337 for the Trojan horse Canon offering.)

What started me actually reading this fairy tale? I think I was struck by the near incomprehensibility of the descriptions "helping" us to chose our next Canon DSLR. I know the range quite well, and I was imagining how I would try to advise a family member which was best for them when I realised how confusing the text snippets were. Pairing four of the Canon bodies with different lens options also struck me as adding yet more confusion. So I read on and found the copy and paste problems on the printer page.

7. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Page 33 or 23?
    Yes, I've been having a few chuckles at the CW gifts catalogue, I think some of the blurb was typed and proof-read after an early Christmas party!

8. Malcolm_Stewart

P23 - and I wasn't even drinking...

(At work we always had our stuff proof read by someone else.)

9. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

What amazes me most about these catalogues is not only the glaring inaccuracies, but also how much space is taken up with hype and puff with negligible meaningful content. The number of times they say "See website for detaiis" makes me wonder why bother with the catalogue in the first place. Frankly, if this is the attention and care that the companies give to their showcase promotional material, I wonder how much care they will take with handling any order that I might place.

Overall, these catalogues leave me rather less likely to purchase from these companies that I was before I saw them.

10. Learning

I received the speed graphic catalogue via post and intend buying something from it as soon as my present months credit card account is finalised.
    As someone who pays of completely every month I usually time purchases to gain maximum benefit. Even with todays poor interest rates I still have the habit.

11. Alex1994

I'm surprised CW bother with catalogues. I emailed their London store earlier this year to ask if they had something in stock as I would be in London that weekend - never got a reply. So I won't be tempted to order anything from their website.