1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat Picture

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SXH, Sep 3, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, but I know a couple of young (well, younger than me) ladies who like that sort of thing. And if Ann Bown can do a whole book of cat pics...

Anyway, grabbed this shot this morning...
    [​IMG]White Cat 3 by Steve Higgins, on Flickr

...and noticed the cat's eyes are different colours - one yellow one white. The cat is VERY white, with very pink skin where it's visible. Albino? And is the eye thing normal for albino cats?

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If it has even one eye coloured, then it isn't an albino. Lucky it, otherwise it would probably be deaf.

S

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It has heterochromia, which I don't think relates to albinism in any way.

SXH likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Was Bowie a Buddhist?

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I just did a bit of googling and found a source that says this is a myth and there's no link between albinism in cats and deafness at all. ETA - Andrew found the same source.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It's sometimes known (probably wrongly) as "wall eye". We had a Dalmatian with it.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thanks, y'all, this has been interesting and informative.

Who said cat pics were pointless? ;)

ETA: it apparently also occurs in dogs, horses, cattle, water buffalo. Oh, and people, too!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A fool. :rolleyes:

Craig20264 likes this.
  10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dave had heterochromic eyes one was bright blue and the other brown

It's not related too albinism- there the eyes are either pink or very pale blue

Blue eyed white cats are often deaf- there's a genetic link between blue eyes and cochlear degeneration i.e. deafness in white cats. Hence an old superstition that white cats do not make good mothers.They can't hear their kittens. white cats with odd coloured eyes can usually hear perfectly well on the non-blue eyed side but are deaf on the blue eyed side