1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cashzone ATM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

[RANT]
    I note that my local Coop's cash machine is now from Cashzone - no longer from the Co-op Bank. I also note that I am no longer offered a withdrawal of £100 from the up-front options which stop, I think, at £50. I can withdraw £100, but that means going into the Menu which I've not had to do for some time. Obviously, I've no idea what other people normally withdraw, but I've been withdrawing £100 for years, and sometimes more. Another problem is that the on-screen options are a poor fit to the buttons which haven't changed their positioning.[/RANT]

Why is so much of modern progress, a step in a backwards direction? (e.g. My latest car no longer has a temp gauge.)

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Malcolm,

If I use a Nationwide cash machines they offer me the short cut of withdrawing my usual amount before they go into the normal menus. Seems to work if I am using either my Nationwide account or a Lloyds one - evidence of a surprising degree of standardisation between banks.

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I think you'll find it's more a sign of the Nationwide IT gang having their heads screwed on the right way around. The message protocol between ATMs and guest banks is that the ATM just sends the card details and requested withdrawal amount; the guest bank returns either an authorisation code or a rejection (which may cause the card to be swallowed).

You can find the standard here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8583

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I gave up trying to get RBS to do something similar about 10 years ago.

Then again even back then a simple me and a guy in the team next to mine could have done it in an afternoon project turns into hundreds of thousands of pounds by the time you do anything.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Some ATMs that charge a fixed amount when used, won't allow you to withdraw more than a certain amount. Some may say that this is because the machines don't carry a large amount of money, but I would suggest, this is so that customers withdrawing more than this, because they have to use the machine more than once, end up paying more in fees.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There are physical limitations as to how many notes an ATM can dispense in one transaction and how many types of notes it can hold in a limited number of hoppers. The quantity of notes within a hopper shouldn't be much of an issue beyond working out replenishment routines.

I would agree that it is likely ATMs that charge for withdrawals limit what can be withdrawn in a single transaction for business reasons rather than technical ones. If you can only withdraw a few notes at a time they are probably at it! ;)

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Also works with NatWest cards