1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cars

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's a company headquartered in Germany and traded on the German stock exchange. Ownership is at least 37% non German and may be as high as 50%. It manufactures in Germany; the UK; Italy; Spain; Sweden; the Czech Republic; Brazil; Mexico; South Africa and probably a few others. Like most big companies today it's a multinational with internal workings as complicated as the Byzantine Empire.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It's still a German company which built itself up from the ruins of the war, whereas the British thought that the [former] empire countries would still buy inferior goods from here, rather than cheaper and often better from elsewhere. The only reason many British companies survived as long as they did was a captive market abroad.

S

3. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

If I remember rightly, Motoring Which seemed to slam british cars quite regularly, with only the Citroen 2CV coming off worse!

The VW group - VW, Audi, Porsche- is currently having a few problems with its diesel models............

Lynn

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Self-inflicted problems. These seem to have most effect on the VW brand as it is always these that the press mention, rather than Audi, Seat and Skoda, but notably has hit residual values quite gently, other than a drift away from diesel engines.

5. Andrew Flannigan

The British Army built it up from the ruins of war. Ivan Hirst had been a REME major and after demob was made administrator of an area which included modern day Wolfsburg where the Volkswagen had been intended to be made. It never happened because the Nazis turned the factory over to the production of light military vehicles. Hirst and a German assistant called Heinrich Nordhoff re-started production of the military KdF-Wagen as part of a plan to stabilise the area's economy and persuaded the Britiah Army to buy 20,000 of them. They then restarted production of the pre-war civilian vehicle which became known as the Beetle. Before the war only a few had been completed and it's only because the British had funded the process that the factory was able to get back into civilian production. So in at least one sense, Volkswagen is the most successful British car company ever.

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Funny old world, isn't it? Especially where motor car manufacturing is concerned. Especially funny when it was a British army major, (Hirst) who was responsible in the aftermath of WWII, for helping to put Volkswagen manufacturing back to work. As to British manufacturing, well innovation was once a strong suit with motor cars, aero engineering, and manufacturing in general. But the clear lack of continuing investment in plant and design, etc., which progressively reduced throughout the 1970s and 1980s, until of course the Great Leaderene came along and hammered the final nail in the manufacturing coffin in favour of 'Service Industries', and the huge rise in interest rates that happened under her stewardship ensured the pace of manufacturing, large and small companies went to the wall and nobody in government gave a damn. Britain is now a wasteland where young people are forced to scratch around for an income, in the knowledge that politicians simply didn't care, and now we've had years and years of austerity which has made a wasteland of this once proud and industrious country.
    But of course, there's always bingo, gambling of all manner and, not least, Strictly come dancing to keep our focus away from politics and politicians.
    Goodness me, I'm in a happy mood tonight, eh?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

I recommend a tot or 2 of what you fancy. :D

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I'm not into spirits. I can easily get slowly and pleasantly pissed on something that I like.
    This evening while preparing my meal which was based on a couple of fillets of that delicately flavoured fish sea bass, I started a bottle of a very modest white Burgundy, an AC Macon Azé. My meal is finished, and there is not much wine left in the bottle as I navigate the interweb. I will shut down the computer and go to bed when the bottle is finished.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Quite right too. The only spirits I like are liqueuers though we keep a medicinal bottle of cheap whisky for making hot toddies when required.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Maybe in the UK press. The Porsche Cayenne has turned out to be extremely dirty in terms of NOx emissions under normal road conditions, and Audi isn't far behind.

Lynn

11. Andrew Flannigan

Of course a Porsche is a Volkswagen or a Volkswagen is a Porsche depending on which way up you hold the table of organisation. :D

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well the VW Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne are virtually identical.

13. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I've jujst devoured a Crunchie now lubricating its way down with a glass of mead. My 10 year old Mazda 2 sits outside.

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

you forgot to mention the condensation that seemed to be able to arrive from nowhere - those glass roofs in a leaky vehicle were just perfect. The Nissan garage told me it was because I had a bottle of water in the boot:eek:

I haven't seen condensation in a car like that since the Datsuns of the early 80s.......err.....is there a common link here?

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought the days of creative flannel were long gone but when I expressed my surprise for the need to replace both rear disks at 45,000 (mostly motorway) miles on a car I drive very gently. I was told with a very straight face it was a) because of the automatic hand-brake and b) pads are much harder now they don't use asbestos. I've got 210,000 miles on the other car (which is 20 this year) and I think we are still on second set of disks. I got an immediate 20% discount off the proposed price, which was still too much, by saying I'd take it elsewhere. So no more main dealer rubbish (this was my first ever new car - 4 years ago so I was minding the warranty) it goes to the independent who has looked after my cars for 30+ years for the next MoT/service.

For the older cars - from some long passed Christmas we have a top-gear publication - "My Dad had one of those" which makes an interesting read.

16. Andrew Flannigan

I use the garage up the road. They're cheaper than the dealer and they certify they've used official manufacturer parts on the invoice where appropriate.

17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Those production line workers really get a sweat on to up their productivity figures. :D

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Our involvement in car manufacture in Germany predates the rebuilding of the VW plant by Major Hirst of the Royal Engineers. Indeed, before WW2 British manufacturers products and designs were used extensively in Germany and exported to other countries. For instance, J.A. Prestwich (JAP) was until the late 30's the world's largest manufacturer of motorcycle engines. However, JAP was also famous for other things too, which included Cine cameras and projectors, as well as of all things, pencil manufacturing machines (patented), whilst they also owned the 'Master' pencil Co.

Returning to the vehicle scene, Dixi - which became BMW (1929), Nissan/Datsun in 1933 and also Holden in 1927, all produced Austin 7 cars under licence; The world-wide positioning of the foot brake, clutch and accelerator in cars today, originated in the Austin 7. On the other hand, I hate to say this but some of the early Reliant's were also constructed from Austin 7 parts ...

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I remember when an aeroplane delivering Japanese car parts into Manchester Airport lost part of its cargo over my house.

Bloody hell, it was raining Datsun cogs out there!

Cheers, Jeff

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I didn't use a car until the early 1990s when I had to give up riding motorcycles because of problems with my feet. My first car was an automatic 1800cc powered Peugeot 205 ... My father was using a 504 estate, which he'd bought secondhand and eventually sold 10 years later for £50 less than he bought it for. I gather the ruggedness of this model was down to Peugout checking out the courier cars provided to one of the international banks, which on a regular basis were driving from London, visiting the various banking centres across Europe and then proceeding onto Istanbul, from whence they then went through Turkey, Iraq and finally Iran, where they were given another car for the return journey whilst their car was being assessed for wear and tear.