1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carlisle and Brighton Area short stay

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by russellsnr, Sep 14, 2013.

1. russellsnr

russellsnr Well-Known Member

Hi, I will be staying in Carlisle and Brighton toward the middle to the end of October.
    Now this may sound strange but I lived in Carlisle for 14 years when I was working but never really took in the surroundings as far as photography goes as to much work no time for much else. In the middle of October will be back there for a week but without transport so anyone suggest either walking or bus options to somewhere there maybe Autumn colour?
    Even stranger is the fact I was born in Brighton but not been back for some time so really the same question as above but only have three days there.
    Also does anyone no if there are any problems photographing inside St Peters church in Brighton?
    Many Thanks
    Russ

2. russellsnr

Hi, 97 views and no photographers from Carlisle or Brighton?
    Thanks
    Russ

3. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Carlisle is obviously quick access to Hadrien's Wall and some of the remote Roman ruins. I spent a week staying close by but I have to admit that I just couldn't find anything of any note when I was there, then again that's nothing new for me! I ended up either heading down toward the lakes, up to Scotland or across the A69 to Tyneside.

Brighton, I took a nice long exposure of the submerged pier just off King's Esplanande ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzzypig/7189787616/ ). There is a ferris wheel at the other end of the town that I've always fancied shooting at dusk, the wooden windmill at Rottingdean. The old bandstand is always seems to be a favourite for the snappers and their models whenever I visit.

Apart from that I can't really say I've got much to offer.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It's been quite a while since I've been to Brighton so I'm not too up to date.

There are the obvious things like the Pavilion, the Lanes and the sad remnants of the West Pier. Depending on when you go the Seafront can offer opportunities for people photography - especially as Brighton has a large gay community and also boast a fair few bohemian characters, goths and other subcultures. There are often events on the lower promenade and there also used to be various sculptures and the suchlike. Once there were regularly boats hauled up on the shore too but they may be gone now. If Volks Electric Railway is running (it's seasonal) that might be worth a look.

Not sure what the centre of town is like these days, it had got quite run down, but again there's a chance of street photography.

Architecturally the more elegant stuff tends to be in the Hove end rather than Brighton itself.

Outside Brighton there's a lot of hills, Devils Dyke is a well known feature, and along the cost between Newhaven and Eastbourne there's the Seven Sisters Country Park (cliffs)and Cuckmere Haven (where the River Cuck meets the sea). Even further afield beyond Eastbourne there's Bexhill-on-Sea and the De La Warr pavilion famed for it's Art Deco period architecture...

I have been to Carlsisle but can't remember much about it exept the Castle. Beyond it there's good countryside and the Solway firth. With transport even the Scottish Borders are in easy reach.

5. russellsnr

Hi, Many thanks for the replies.
    Difficult when relying on public transport but sure I'll come home with something.
    Thanks Again
    Russ