1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car windscreens- getting weaker?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Oct 5, 2017.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yeah, but those damned glassmakers kept setting fire to the city, so they got shovelled off to Murano.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There was something on the bbc this week about screens in future being thinner, using gorillaglass

3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

If the windscreen is out of spec it will be forced in when fitted, yes windscreens do bend slightly that's the problem, if you go down a pothole or if the screen has a sharp knock it will crack, normally laminated screens are fitted to the front of the vehicle and toughened glass fitted to the sides and rear of the vehicle. When windscreen production started in foreign places the quality took a massive nose dive. Once again Pilkington Glass made in Great Britain was the best.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Citation? Or just stick with the assertion?

It may have been "the best". But have you any actual evidence?

Cheers,

R.

5. IvorCamera

Yes loads of complaints about poor windscreen quality...

6. Roger Hicks

To and from whom?

Again, there's a difference between evidence and assertion.

Cheers,

R.

7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I just need a holiday, but instructions from my Consultant prohibit me from boarding an aeroplane or ferry to jonny foreigner land. So I'll just have to stay in this bug infested country and stay away from all those nasty foreign germs Us English don't have germs :rolleyes::D See you in Oxford and Bath .........

8. Mark101

I've never had so many stones hit my car as in the last couple of years. They just aren't sweeping the roads and some roundabouts up here have about 3 inches of debris at the road edge.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, as IvorCamera said, a badly fitted windscreen will crack very easily. I had that problem in quick succession on my drive to Heathrow back in the day. I switched the windscreen fitters and didn't have any more problems.

10. IvorCamera

Did not anybody notice how many mobile windscreen fitting companies started up in business in the last few years? I wonder why that was, do I have to keep saying that Pilkington glass was the best in the world! I shall answer no more questions on this matter........sometimes I get fed up of explaining things to people. Best Wishes....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No, but I'm sure you still will.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  12. Roger Hicks

You are not actually explaining anything. You are merely asserting the same thing repeatedly. There is a difference. I assume you understand what it is.

Cheers,

R.

13. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

That's odd, I haven't heard any radio ads for windscreen repairs and replacements for a while. Perhaps they are a winter phenomenon!?

Lynn

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

They have adverts on the radio???? I knew my ad-blocker was good but WOW! ;)

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I can't understand why you would make that assumption, Roger - there's no previous evidence to support it.

16. IvorCamera

Pilkington memories, I remember a case of German made glass arriving on the shop floor clearly stating on the side of the box "Another Quality Product made in Germany" and somebody wrote underneath "And so was the Bismarck"...............

17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not like the extremely robust HMS Hood.

18. Mark101

Auto Glass repair, Auto Glass replace; so tge bkoody ad keeps telling me. Form what I recall many of the car insurance firms have a contract with them. The two bods who came to repair my screen last time found it so heavy it slipped and took a chunk out of the dash. Auto Glass ended up paying for a very expensive invisible repair to the top of tge dashboard.

Catriona likes this.
  19. Mark101

Judging by tge cost of a repkacement screen for a Galaxy S7 then a car repkacement screen could cost more than a car

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, when I had my problems with repeated broken windscreens, it was a company allied to the insurers. The final time, I didn't do it that way and had it replaced elsewhere. No more problems.