1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car snow socks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A good analogy. This is quite a detailed detailed description of its operation:

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Or even a waterwheel:

Waterwheel.jpg

S

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

And when taken to the extreme....

....can spin the tyres from a standstill to 170mph on a dry track without gears.:eek:

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

It's not often that I laugh when reading a posting (rather than merely being amused), but this one is brilliant.
    But since the handbrake controls the rear wheels, chains on them might make parking on the upward slope of an icy hill possible.

I have driven small front wheel drive cars on ice and compressed snow (and now live on a narrow rural road with a steep slope), and the trick seems to be to use the highest gear possible without stalling and never touch the brake pedal. And hope that nobody is driving down the hill...

At the tender age of 18 I once drove a double decker bus on a 'skidpan' at a London Transport driver training school. I was the only boy on the school trip there who had a full driving licence and was over 18 (by a few days), so was offered a chance to be 'taken for drive' with and instructor who chose not to tell me about the surface ahead. Touching the brakes and having the back of the bus move sideways was a 'formative' experience, even at only 10 miles per hour. I was quickly advised not to use the brakes and try to steer 'into' the skid. At least twice in my life I believe this knowledge has avoided injury. when there was 'black ice' on the road. On one of these occasions I was in the first last car in a line of 6 or 7 (driving sensibly because of the freezing conditions on an untreated road, so too slowly for some people), and was the only driver to end up on still the road. All the others behind me used their brakes...

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There's a lot to be said for skid pan training. I found that after a while the fun wore off because you do quite quickly "get a grip" in both senses.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I like to think my experience on a bike has helped keep me out of trouble so far....finding traction when you can shift your weight and control brakes independently on a bike is a lot more fun that the dead weight of a car but either way you need to be able to read the terrain ahead. It took destroying the splash guard under the car and ripping the belt off the side of the engine with the force of water to teach me to slow down for puddles though...... reading the the terrain is one thing but in the car I have to think slow down rather than go flat out sometimes. (jumps too!)

Anyway, this might be of interest here....

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I don't drive, however I have been on a skid pan.

A primary school trip out took us to the local bus skid pan, where we were treated to half an hour of skidding about on a double-decker Selnec bus!

I'm not sure that this is the sort of thing that they do with children nowadays!

Cheers, Jeff

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I had some hairy moments when driving in London, especially at roundabouts - that moment when you pray there's nothing on the roundabout, since you are just going to join it regardless! Worse than ice though, was the fog. Constantly watching out for the side of the road as I crept along in case I was drifting. I do remember my step-mother used to put chains on the Morris Minor when the snow and ice arrived in my Aberdeenshire village. Mind you, the snowplows were excellent, leaving 10ft walls at the side of roads! Ha!

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I’ve done skid pan training on both the standard pan and one in which the car is on a frame that can be lifted on each wheel together or separately to simulate whatever conditions they want. A car full of grown men giggling like schoolgirls. I felt sicker though than as if I’d been on a fairground ride.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The thing about the south west is that we get no snow or ice for umpteen years then suddenly it's a white-out. :eek: This means that most of us have experienced that "oh shit" moment when we realise that the brakes may be working but friction has left the building... :(

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Went for a drive on ice today, although thankfully not the hard stuff, and was pleasantly surprised how usable my current tyres were. Even if the tread pattern isn't for snow/ice it seems to be deep enough to offer more grip than I'm used to on summer tyres.....not great but not worryingly sketchy either.

It was the kind of day where 23mph felt plenty fast enough in places but after walking the dogs I was able to do a turn in the road without wheelspin or touching the accelerator thanks to the torque converter and automatic gearbox.

iceroad.jpg

Pretty normal conditions for this time of year up on the moor I like walking my dogs on and as it is just a single track road with passing places it doesn't get gritted often.