1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't think of a title yet

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Cersei, Oct 28, 2013.

1. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Dear Cercei,
    English is not my first language either, even though I am a teacher of English as a second language. No matter what language you use, you have to see the items that make it function as a whole and not in isolation.
    Photography wise it is the same thing, it isan language; a means of espression. "Bin it" in here, means in a classroom "Write that sentence again. It doesn't work as it is".
    I am sure that comments in here will be more sincere - yet straighter - than in other "professional forums" that you can find out there which are full of jealousy and mischief to see you stumble and fall.
    Take care,

Luis

2. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

Don't really want to carry on the argument. It seems you did not bother to read the whole thread since it is long and probably not worth the attention. The comment imo was not relevant to the photo. Now lets all stay on the subject shall we?

As for the languages I speak 4 but sometimes things get lost in translation and I don't see what you being ENglish teacher has to do about my comment.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  3. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Seems that you didn't get or understand the message. Need I trouble myself for that?

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The original is, to my eye, MUCH better. I really disliked the gruesome yellow of the picture you posted first, which is why I didn't comment on it. My underlying feeling is this:

(1) You have a good eye

(2) Don't try to rescue good, but not outstanding, pictures by buggering about in Photoshop. Shoot more pictures instead.

Cheers,

R.

5. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

Thank you Roger

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Your original was something that could be "saved" and needed to be, but by subtler means. First problem is the extreme under exposure cause dby pointing the camera at the sun looks good the first couple of times you do it, but you soon get tired of such an obviously false picture.
    Then there is the blocking up of the shadows into solid black areas where all detail is lost. If you shot in raw you can probably rescue more of it than I have here with selective levels adjustmennt, protecting the sun area as much as possible from burning out even more.

[​IMG]

7. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

Thank you Mike for good suggestions. Btw my camera does not support Raw but, hopefully I will have a better one in the future.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

In the meantime, a fairly heavy neutral density grad can help a bit, but looks a bit like you had something on..

9. Myopic George

Myopic George Well-Known Member

10. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

11. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

exactly.

just to clear something up, the Rorsach ink test was a back reference to someone else's posts a week or so back, a wry comment between 'senior' members, nothing to do with your posts. So, Caulkhead was definitely not mocking, he was recalling a previous thread. I too do not mock when I say I agree with him, your silhouette has elements of a blot test (symmetry) - that has nothing to do with proper critique, just normal chit chat. That chit chat can creep in and hijack posts sometimes, it is just for fun.

I'll have a bet that everyone on here has detected your natural caution as a beginner; I have read all the responses and I really see nothing but help advice and the hope you will succeed.

However, when you get better (you have definitely already started) do expect a bit more direct critique, because we'll all assume your shoulders are broad as you struggle upward. Just a few months with a compact is zero practice really, you are rapidly treading a path that some here spent years along with film, so be warmed by your speed of progress. Experiment like mad, but do edit your posts - some say leave a shot a week then come back to it before you judge if it is worth posting up.

On language I am a native English speaker and I've been told countless times that I talk gibberish. I got used to it, my Gaelic roots rule! Best advice is to assume that the 'big names' on here ALWAYS mean to help, however their late night typing may be a bit clipped or severe, or in my case, p*ssed. You can always ask what we mean!

Ditch all your negativity, within a couple of weeks you have gripped a lot of folks attention - so something must be going right, yes?

Kindest regards and keep at it, nothing cannot be learned. And, it is a two way process, us helping you teaches us how to look & feel.

Kindest, b0b0

12. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

Dachs

First of all how can I thank you? You are the only person who took their time to help me find my footing around here. I have no problem with the critique at all, just don't appreciate criticism. I know we are going off topic right now, but I have to say it. I have been participating in poetry workshop were they give you very detailed critique of your work. They tell you how it sucks and why it sucks in detail so you can grab hold of it and work on your poem. I know photography and poetry are very different ( some may argue), only thing I always wanted to get some details so I can work from there. Instead I kept getting just phrases thrown to me, with most of the abbreviations I have no idea about. What happened in this Thread was a misunderstanding, the poster apologised to me, even though probably it was not necessary and I apologised to Luis in private.

Thank you for giving me support.

13. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

U welcome.
    Interesting point that I don't recall raised before; usually photography is likened to painting but the poetry analogy is indeed a good one.
    See what I mean about how a fresh face can stir up deeper thoughts?

as to learning, there is no substitute to practice, but there is a whole host of reading to do out there as well, not easy, but if you want to learn a craft with less tears, necessary.

Google Ken Rockwell site and delve into it, but don't believe everything he says!

ps (edit) you can do a lot worse than looking at Luis' photos, or Adrian Sadlers, many others besides. Apply a critical eye to other peoples' pix: why do they work, what could be made better? pps - don't you dare critique mine !!!! 8)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013