1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon v Olympus

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Willietell, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Willietell

Willietell New Member

In his article in AP 26th September issue Rob Cottle wax's lyrical about the advantages of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 over the bulk of the Canon 7D mk ll. Coupled with the 300 mm lens it definitely has a weight advantage over the Canonl but the 300 mm is the longest lens that Zuiko make and in the photograph on page 50 it is just as bulky looking as the Canon 100-400mm so I wonder how the equivalent Zuico would compare if it was available. He also ignores price with the Olympus kit shown being £1000 more expensive than the Canon. No doubt a Zuiko 400mm lens would be even more expensive. The article is not a fair comparison!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The field of view of a 300 on the olympus is 600 mm on Canon full frame and not many people go beyond that except with converters.

I'm sticking with Canon!

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I use Canon full frame and Olympus/Panasonic M43. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Interestingly my longest full frame lens is 300mm and my longest M43 lens is 150mm. I've tried longer lenses in the past but never found a subject that benefitted from them. I imagine it would be different if I was a serious birding or wildlife photographer of course.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I echo Andrew's comment as always it's horses for courses. I use a mixture is Canon full frame and FT as well as mFT all have their place.
    Incidentally I use the long end of my 70 -300 on FT surprisingly often

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

And what lens was being used on the Canon? If it was their 300mm f4 then the Olympus is about the same size and weight but has the advantage of having a 35mm equivalency of 600mm compared to 420mm on the 7DII. If the Canon was fitted with their 600mm f4 then the Canon wins on 35mm equivalency (approx 960mm on the 7DII) but the Oly lens is way ahead on bulk (2.6kg lighter) and size (about 200mm shorter and 70mm less across). Against the 100-400mm the Oly lens is marginally longer and a touch heavier but more significantly is not a zoom so really isn't a direct comparison.

Direct comparisons between systems are difficult enough when the sensor size and fundamental design is the same but when they aren't it starts to get a bit doubtful. A more genuine comparison might be the Olympus against the M5 -at least both are CSCs even if the M5 is APS format not m4/3rds.