1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon revamps legendary Canon EOS 5D DSLR to reveal 5D Mark IV

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Aug 25, 2016.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That dual-pixel recording adjustment looks interesting.
    A simple, but powerful way to get an image sharp, without having to employ the Lytro tech. The processing will be pretty powerful, but it is an idea where some other manufacturers are going to say 'why didn't we think of that?'

3. AndyTake2

One thing I noticed that was missing, and is a mistake they need to rectify, is the USB Type-C.
    Putting a USB 3 connector on is a mistake - it is a horrible, badly designed connection system (this isn't Canon's fault) and I think most photographers would prefer not to faff around with a polarised connector like this, when a nice, simple non-polarised USB3 connector would have been just as easy to fit.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problem with it on a 5Ds. It isn't as fiddly as the micro-usb on my Fuji. The convenience of cable download is somewhat degraded by my now needing 3 different usb cables (mini, micro, this one) for different cameras.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I was told by a service engineer once that standardisation is a temporary state. :)

6. Robert Newman

Robert Newman New Member

Like many I was looking forward to Canon producing the 5DMk4 however when I saw the pricing it just confirmed that rip off Britain in still alive and well. The cheapest price I have seen in Britain is £3400 yet in the USA you will be able to buy one for less than £2700 at the current exchange rate. Perhaps Canon would like to explain why we in Britain are being ripped off.

7. AndyTake2

Three Simple Letters

V
    A
    T

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Any one dumb enough to be in the "must have now brigade" deserves to pay the price...:rolleyes:

Remember that in the US local sale taxes are not included. For example if you pre-order it from B&H in New York the list price is approximately £2700 but if you are a NYC resident the local taxes add another $310 bringing the cost up to £2900. This isn't helped by the drop in the pound. I also wonder if the cameras are imported first by Canon Europe and sent to Canon UK and then on to the stockists rather than directly by the UK arm thus adding extra middlemen and transport costs...

Just out of interest the B&H site will ship to the UK taxes paid for the sum of $4324 which the FT reckons is £3301 and not far off the £3400 you quote. FWIW the duties and tax amounts to just over £580 so I guess a letter of complaint to HM Treasury is in order...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I'm sticking a mk iv badge on my mk iii :p