1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon M100 (no EVF)

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by P_Stoddart, Sep 14, 2017.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Canon have launched the M100 mirrorless

It has no option for a EVF

I just don't see the logical here?

With strong light behind the shooter the screen is likely to be completely useless from the reflections.

So how can you compose with that?

That the main reason for a eye viewfinder of some type on the camera.

The previous model had EVF option.

A EVF would not take up much space, OLED screens are getting cheaper all the time.

They are missing a trick here surely?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No it didn't. The M100 replaces the M10, which likewise had no EVF option.

Not sure if you had noticed, but most pictured these days are taken on mobile phones, which also have no EVF. And on holiday this year to Turkey, I had no problem using my M3 and my wife an M - no issue with reflections, although we had to turn screen brightness up to have sufficient contrast. I have to say I much prefer using a DSLR, but as we were looking after my mother in a wheelchair, the CSC made more sense this time. UndeĊ• normal British conditions, it's beyond simple to compose on the screen with normal bright.
    But an EVF is useless to me, and so I would really rather not pay any extra at all to have one. It would inevitably add extra cost. Canon offer a CSC with an EVF, and another with an optional one; this one is without the option at a cheaper price. It's called choice, which I can only see as a good thing, and I really can't see why people want to deprive others of that choice, that strikes me as bizarre.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

From what I have researched the Canon M3 is a better choice. It is around the same price as the new M100 but it can have a EVF. :)

The Canon M5 looks very good but it is a bit pricey. :(