1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon FTB QL Question

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Clarice08, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Clarice08

Clarice08 New Member

Hi guys,
    I've got a canon ftb ql and have just had my first reel of film developed. I was very pleased with the results, however I have one slight problem. If you see the attached photo then you'll notice the white 'spot', it has appeared on all of the photos but I don't know what's causing it. Any advice or solutions? Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is a bit unusual. Assuming you are shooting negative film, so that it shows up as a black spot on the negatives, it looks like a light leak. However, a light leak usually comes in from the edges rather than as a spot. Are the negs clear ouside the film area? Usually what happens with old cameras is that the material used to seal the edges of the back degrades and lets some light in around the edges. This looks more like a tiny hole in the back. You could try some black tape. I think the image is inverted so it will be top righthand side of the back.

If you shot every frame with the mirror locked up and if the camera has a cloth shutter then it could be a tiny hole in the curtain - but that strikes me as rather thin chance. The mirror should block light from falling on the shutter curtain except when making exposures.

3. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Is there a screw missing on the case?

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The QL was a great system and such a pity that Canon abandoned it for the A series SLRs, especially as my AE1 had the most fiddly load procedure of any camera I have ever used. However back on subject you could try loading a film and before winding on covering the joints in the camera body with black tape.- then expose as normal rewind, remove the tape and develop the film. If the spots have gone then it is the light seals if not you will have to carry on looking - perhaps some peculiar flare from the lens?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

flare in that shot seems very unlikely.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Agreed bt if it is not light leakage it will a very unusual problem.