1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon FF upgrade

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Bazarchie, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I currently have a 7Dii, a 5D mark 1 and a Fuji XPro1 as my main cameras. I have a mix of ef and efs lenses. The 7D ii is generally the camera I use when I need reach and good AF for moving subjects. The 5D is mainly used for landscapes and I love the results especially the colours, however it does have limitations e.g. No live view, poor viewfinder, low light performance. The Fuji for when I want something small and light. I therefore want to upgrade my FF camera. I try to avoid buying the latest models so I have therefore ordered a used 5D iii with a very low shutter from one of the major retailers.

I have always fancied a 5 Diii but could not justify the cost. The 6D was an option but the AF system may be an issue for me and the button layout is different to the 7Dii. The 5Dii is a bit too old to merit an upgrade. The 6D ii was an option but it is more expensive and has not been that well received. 1DXs are usually more expensive, have high shutter counts and are larger.

When it was first released and whilst a current model the 5Diii was well received. But for 2018 have I made a mistake?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's a bit late to worry if you've already ordered it!

I think you'll find the 5Diii a big improvement on the 5D.

3. Bazarchie

Thanks Pete. It is returnable!

Out of interest what camera to you mainly use for bird photography and do you find the 500mm better than the 400?

4. PeteRob

I use a 1D iv. I went in the shop to buy a 7D and came out £3700 poorer, it's lovely to use and I'll keep it for some time yet even though sensors have come along a bit. My 5Ds has more resolution but the x1.3 in the 1Div viewfinder is most useful.

The 500 was my present to me on my retirement and financially made little sense as a 7Dii on the 400 would give the magnification for a fraction of the cost. Mind you the new price is now +50% on what I paid for it so I'll get my money back. You can see the difference between a 500 and a 400. The image quality is astounding and the IS is very good so I can handhold it for exposures longer than I can hold the 400. The 400 is much lighter and less conspicuous of course. I used it today with the 1D iv when we went for a walk around the marine lake at West Kirby and I plan to keep it.

To decide to buy, or not to buy, a 500 I did a day 1:1 coaching with Mike Atkinson which included some practice using his. His website has a long section in equipment choices.

My trouble now is that I have all the gear but none of the fieldcraft!

5. Bazarchie

Thanks Pete . Have they really increased 50%?

You and me both and in my case not enough vision to see good shots! However, I still enjoy it.

6. PeteRob

The prices went right up on all the supertelephotos. I tbought the 500 had gone over 9k but Wex are today asking 8.1k. When I got mine the list was 6.5k but I got a discount.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not know any experienced birders? Does the rspb do organised walks in your area?

My dad still does stuff like that...and not always in the UK these days. Sneaks in some extra holidays without my mum and calls it work!

8. PeteRob

I'm just not dedicated enough! I am RSPB member and go to the reserves and enjoy talking to the birders that I meet, but I'd rather walk around taking pictures than spend hours waiting for something to happen. A lot of bird watching is done at distances far beyond photography - if it's small and much more than 10 m away then that's tough! I'm full of admiration for those that get pictures into BirdGuides photo of the week. One day I'll have some success! Main thing is that I enjoy myself.

9. Bazarchie

I am also a member. Most of the reserves I have visited are set up for spotting scopes and binos not photography. You may get lucky if the birds rest by the hide but often they are on the other side of the lake/scape and too far away for a decent photo. Not always the case, e.g. Bempton which was excellent. I have had more success at WWT sites and wildlife trust centres. If I had more time and patience it may be a different story.

10. PeteRob

I agree that hides are not always the best places (except when raining) for photography. Bempton is on my goto list. It is a bit far for a day trip for me. The main thing is keeping alert when walking around and being prepared to wait 10-20 mins at locations that will give a good photograph and are suitable habitat. The one thing I took away from the day with Mike is that it isn't necessary to bury yourself in camo netting for hours at a time, you can have a nice stroll as well. It much depends on time of year as well. Short, cold winter days are good because the birds must feed. The spring is good because they display and mark/defend territories and leaf cover is low. Early summer is good because they are active feeding young. Forget summer and early autumn as vegetation is too thick, the birds are in moult and hiding.

The one thing that makes a difference is having your "eye" and "ear" in. This is where those that go serious birding every day for all of their lives score. If I don't go out for a month or so then I won't see much. At my local RSPB, last year I think, there were some grey partridges which was a first for the reserve. How the heck anyone spotted them in the first place I don't know. I had to be shown, even though it was clear from the number of people that had gathered that something was there! Similarly, a long-eared owl turns up most winters and roosts in the same hawthorne. The RSPB tape off a viewing area as it gets popular. Took me an hour to pick it out, despite people pointing and giving clues.

Bazarchie likes this.
  11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

That is more the sort of thing I remember from going along as a kid.....it was walks but I suppose hides were probably less common than they are now.

I'm also a member (and the SWT) but if I go to nature reserves there are often signs saying stick to the paths, keep dogs on a short lead and no cycling. Most of my wildlife photography is done in areas described as community woodland so I can get close enough to take pictures.

That said I'd like to photograph Jays but have no idea how I'm going to get close enough even when I know where they are and what they will be up to.

12. PeteRob

I've had absolutely no luck in woodland! The difficulty is that the birds like to go to the canopy. I most often see Jays in flight, disappearing!

13. Bazarchie

This jay was in our garden and was remarkable friendly.
    IMG_1145.JPG

Scphoto and daft_biker like this.
  14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Canon never made an FF. You may be thinking of the first model of Leica Reporter. The second model was of course the GG. There are only two DDs so they don't really count.

(Yes, it's a silly reply, but no sillier than half the stuff on this forum).

Cheers,

R.

15. Bazarchie

Thanks Roger!

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I have an EF 300 F/2.8L IS (and a battered copy of the earlier version without IS) and an EF 500 F/4L IS. Initially, I used extenders with the EF 300L IS, but once I'd bought the EF 500 f/4L IS, that became my main birding lens used with either a 1D Mk IV or a 7D Mk II. It's given me many good results, nearly all taken from the northern hide adjacent to the "Observatory" at WWT Welney. I think Welney is the nearest reserve to Milton Keynes which doesn't involve stupidly slow progress in London traffic jams - I'm thinking of WWT Barnes...
    The RSPB reserve at Rye Meads is good for kingfishers (and other birds), and my EF 500 & 1D Mk IV worked superbly when one flew off a perch to its nest hole. Whether my 7D Mk II would have been as good in catching up with the bird, I've no idea.

I started with the 300mm lenses, with extenders, always feeling short of focal length, and moved to the EF 500 where I'm now short of muscle, but I use a Manfrotto gimbal head nearly all the time. The 300mm F/2.8L IS is very sharp indeed, and does well with long shots of modern architecture.