1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon FD 24 / 28 mm - good/bad/avoid

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Scphoto, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get a wide angle FD lens for my Canon AV-1. I currently have a Kiron 28mm which is a bit soft, so was looking at the Canon options. As a few here might have used them the first time round just wondering if there's anything to look out for.

There is a distinct price increase for between the 24 and the 28. Is the 24mm that much better?

Thanks.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Scphoto likes this.
  3. Scphoto

Thanks for the info.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Both are decent lenses, but I've always much preferred the angle of view of the 24mm - it's one of my favourite focal lengths. It's still a very compact lens. Mine is also sharper than my 28mm, but not by enough to make me care. But I think this is one of the gems of the FD system; my favourite FD carry about kit would be body (ideally A-1), 24mm, 50mm f1.4 and 100mm f2.8.

5. Scphoto

Thanks Nick, I've noticed ffordes have a stock of 'new' 24mm lenses - but I'll hold off for a month or so to see if i can find anything cheaper at the photography show.

6. Loose_Canon

Loose_Canon Well-Known Member

I have an early 24mm FD breach fitting (type with a ring) that is incredible for its time. As a film lens it provides a "Leica" quality producing wonderful tonal graduation.

Scphoto likes this.