1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS M6 Woes

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by EightBitTony, Aug 7, 2019.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to get on with my Canon EOS M6, which I've had for a while now, but hardly used. I thought I'd use it as a walkabout camera, but I don't actually go walking about anywhere.

If I go anywhere, it's usually with the intention of taking photographs, and so I have no problem carrying the DSLR(s). On the very rare chance I'm going somewhere and don't intend to take pictures, I don't find myself taking any pictures even if I do have it with me.

However, that's not the point of this.

I went in to town yesterday, I thought I had an hour to kill (turns out it was 10 minutes), and decided to take just the M6 and see if I could get used to it.

First 6 shots - ISO 25600, and then I noticed. I noticed because the shutter speed was 4000/sec, which seemed fast even though it was quite bright (shooting in Av, auto-iso, or so I thought).

Turns out I had once again 'knocked' the ISO and the first setting down from auto is 25600. This is not the first time this has happened. It's probably happened one in two times I've been out with the camera, that at some point the ISO will be 25600 rather than auto.

The ISO dial is pretty chunky, sits under the exposure compensation dial.

2019-08-07 08.07.19.jpg

It clicks pretty solidly, and although it's just above the power switch I can't recreate the steps of turning the camera on and switching ISO to 25600.

However, this camera is touch screen, and a search on the web finds I'm not alone. Multiple M6 owners seem to find the camera in 25600 ISO.

So I've turned off the touch screen and I'll see if it's something to do with how I hold the thing when I'm walking (I use a wrist strap, so hold the camera in my hand all the time) in combination with the touch screen (where you can change the ISO quite easily).

Fingers crossed.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hi Tony, I have an Eos M and now an M5 as well. It took me some time to stop my touching the screen on my Eos M taking photos. I tried a Firmware upgrade, and I think that helped, as well as crawling through a mass of menu options.
    On the M5, which I bought to give me a semblance of an eye-level viewing system, it was fine indoors, but very dark used outside in good lighting. Fortunately I do have the Manual pdf, and somewhere that told me how to brighten the view through the eye-level viewfinder. I'm hoping to give the M5 a workout next week when we're in mid-Wales.

In John Lewis yesterday pm I was able to handle their display Eos RP, and I'm pretty sure that the sensor showed signs of a finger mark. (The body cap seemed strangely loose fitting.) Ouch! On the RP, the sensor does seem very large, and close to where fingers can go... Once again there was no lens for it, and I didn't want to waste the sales staff's time asking for a demo with lens in place.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I had a somewhat similar problem with my walkabout camera (PEN F). In my case it was either the touch screen or the compensation dial getting knocked. However the problem seems to have gone away as I use the.camera more. I suppose that subconsciously I am checking more carefully

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

Couple of folk on other forums had similar issues, always resolved by either turning off the touch screen, or reducing the control options allowed on it. So I'll give those a go.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I had the problem with the original M, can't say I notice it with the M6. However, I do tend to turn the camera off when walking around, because battery life isn't great, so I might just be avoiding it.

6. EightBitTony

Yeh I normally keep it off, for that reason, but sometimes I'll drop it down between shots while waiting for someone to come in frame, etc. and I must be doing it at that point.