1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS 350D Err CF

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by HughFair, May 20, 2006.

1. HughFair

HughFair Member

Does anyone know of a solution to "Err cf" message on a EOS 350D. I've changed cf cards (Lexar 80x 1GB) batteries.
    Is there way out?

Thanks

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Sorry no idea.....but...have you checked the cf card on a card reader? Another possibility...is there a backup battery? I know the 10D has an additional watch battery to let it store settings and date etc...perhaps the 350 is similar???

Graeme

3. HughFair

HughFair Member

Thanks - yeah I tried the cards on my card reader and reformated them and they seem fine. I removed and replaced the back up watch-type cell. All this to no avail.
    Is there a compatibility issue between Lexar cf cards and Canon cameras??

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that there was an issue at one time but I have not heard any discussions recently. Are you able to reformmat the card in the camera? If not then the next step might be to borrow another card and see how the camera reacts? Perhaps your dealer might be able to do this for you?

Graeme

5. HughFair

HughFair Member

Can't reformat in the camera - I get the Err 99 message - I'll try a card from a different manufacturer.

Thanks

Hugh

6. DaveCarr

DaveCarr Well-Known Member

Graeme is right - there is a problem with *some* Lexar 80x 1Gb CF cards - when combined with most Canon DSLR's (inc the 350D) - it's down to your serial number...

It was out in the 'open' maybe a year ago now, both Canon and Lexar released statements. Here is the Lexar one:

Iffy Lexar cards

Basically the newer Canon DSLR's are too "much" for the Lexar cards, and Lexar needed to upgrade the firmware on them.. If you send it back, they will exchange..

TBH, I hope your card *is* one of "pre-upgrade" cards, that way you know that's all it is..

Hope this helps

7. DaveCarr

DaveCarr Well-Known Member

Click on the link on the Lexar page, and it gives you the Canon site - containing the UK numbers to call too...

8. HughFair

HughFair Member

Thanks folks,

I have (well my brother did) discovered what the problem was - a pin in the camera cf slot was slightly bent and my eagle-eyed brother straightened it - it now works fine - something I'll need keep my eye on.

Thanks again for your efforts