1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EF-S 35mm f2.8 Macro IS STM Lens

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by AGW, Apr 12, 2019.

1. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I have checked and this nifty wee EFS lens is compatible with EF extension tubes, So what would happen if you then mounted the lens and tube on a full frame EF body? Would the circle fill the frame or close to it? Just curious.

Graeme

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I freely admit I can't get my head round that one, however...

The further the central node of the lens is from the focal plane the larger the circle of illumination (usually referred to as "coverage"). On the other hand the further a point on the image is from the centre the more distorted it will be and the less the illumination (the latter being referred to as "vignetting"). If the image is projected onto an over large surface it will fade out completely when the edge of the circle of illumination is reached.

I seem to recall that some macro enthusiasts used "C" mount lenses from 16mm cine cameras on quite large format cameras so it sounds as if it ought to work.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Interesting thought... In theory I suspect the answer is yes since, as Andrew says the image circle is enlarged the further from the sensor it is. I used to have a a basic 18-50 Sigma zoom that essentially moved the optics further from the sensor as focal length increased - at 18mm it did not cover the 35mm film frame but from 22-24mm on it was quite useable on my film cameras.

Working from the crop factor I estimate that the 25mm tube should enough to allow full frame usage but I would recommend trying it out in person before parting with cash...;)

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I was thinking about using with an apc body but I don't like the idea of buying an apc only macro lens... so I thought...what about a tube. The subject would always be in the centre so the edges can be cropped off.

Graeme

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I tried the efs 60 on tubes with a 6d and it was ok.
    only downside is they are cheap tubes and af is hit and miss.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I expect a 12mm tube will turn it into a different beast with significantly shorter working distance and a very limited focus range.

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking....with a built in light.

Graeme

daft_biker likes this.
  8. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Worry not, a 35mm 2.8 macro STM is currently on its way to me, I'll try it out on a 5Dii and report back.
    The efs 60mm + 12mm kenko tube works flawlessly on the full frame.

AGW likes this.