1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 70D Lens Suggestions

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by andantesash, Apr 21, 2017.

1. andantesash

andantesash Member

I am looking for some advice on lenses for my Canon 70D, I have been doing a few wedding shots for friends and want to get some more new lenses and a new flash gun.

I am currently shooting with 18-135 canon lense.

What lenses would you recommend for doing candid and wedding shots for this camera?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Look at the shots you have taken already to see what focal lengths are being used and what the "gaps" are for you. People will have different preferences according to how they frame their compositions. Then you have to decide to go for prime lenses or zoom(s). Changing lenses is not always a good strategy so be prepared to think of a second camera body too. This also provides a backup.

Roger Hicks and EightBitTony like this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Professional wedding photographers tend to favour the faster f2.8 L lenses such as the 24-70 f2.8L and the 70-200 f2.8L. However with the better high ISO capabilities of a modern camera you may well be OK using the less expensive F4L versions. As Pete says check your photo data to see what you use most but I imagine that you are primarily looking for a lens in the 24-70 sort of coverage. If you occasionally need a bit of a wider angle the 11-18 STM could be a cost effective option in addition. Might also be worth looking at Sigma's 17-70mm f2.8-4 C - the lens has a long pedigree and a decent reputation, it won't be quite as perfect wide open as an L lens but it will do the job - my original version certainly can.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yep, I guess there's two things,

1. better quality
    2. different focal lengths

Which of those two things you think you're missing drives the choices. I actually think on an APS-C body, the 18-135mm probably covers all the standard wedding shot angles, except it might not be quite wide enough for big groups (but any wider, and you risk distortion). That would be answered by the question about seeing what focal lengths you've used and if you feel you're missing any.

And then the quality question is back to Nigel's comment, that wider apertures will give you more light and allow you to take flash-free photos in situations where you might struggle with the current lens you have. But only you know if you are actually struggling.

5. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Canon 15-85mm, as close as you will get to an L series in a APS-C lens.