1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 650d got wet. Error code ISO A

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by andy8442, Jul 26, 2017.

1. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

My camera got quite damp yesterday, and when trying to use it today the screen is dead and the shutter just fires and the only thing I can see in the viewfinder is err ISO A. Any thoughts? Is it dead?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My son got my 550D completely soaked under Niagara Falls. Dried it out over several days with the lens off in a warm place (Not ideal, for sure) and it's worked fine ever since. Take the battery and card out during drying.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

take the battery out and lens off put it in a dry warm place like an airing cupboard or in a sealable container with packaged silica gel (not loose stuff that can get inside the camera) and wait a couple of days before trying again.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Echo the above, but battery out asap is a MUST.

5. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm ok with getting the camera dry again ( shouldn't have got it wet in the first place) but it's the error code I was more concerned with, and in particular if anyone had seen this code before.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just dry the camera and worry about any error codes when it's fully dry - any error codes when wet are the camera equivalent of the ramblings of a drunk. Sober it up and it will make sense.;)

Craig20264 likes this.
  7. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Cheers, that was my thinking :)

8. Craig20264

Indeed. There's probably that many short circuits in there with the water that it won't know if it's coming or going. Hopefully non have caused permanent damage. Fingers crossed.

9. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Well, it's not happy. Will record video fine, but on photos, it fires a multi burst then error 20 comes up and it says switch off and take battery out. The shutter or mirror or both aren't happy, any further thoughts?

10. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Does anyone know the price of a new shutter fitting?

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Probably more than buying another camera of the same model secondhand. CEX list them at £165 and less, depending on grade.

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Hmmm…. thats what I'm thinking.

13. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

If you want to use a camera in the wet then I would buy one that's built for the job and doesn't mind a soaking.

14. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Well, I didn't drop the rucksack in a river for a laugh, but thanks for your concern and advice. I'll bear that in mind next time when I chose between my son and a camera.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was a subliminal plug for Pentax, but you wouldn't be expected to get it. I'm sorry the camera looks caput and I hope your son is OK, dangerous things rivers. In the spring we saw a young lad hiding ahead of his parents, to give them a surprise (he was very good, surprised me) in Lydford Gorge. It was running quite high, not so deep where he was but fast, 30 foot upstream from him it must have been 10' deep.

16. Ffolrord

A completely unwarranted, sarcastic response.

The natural assumption was that the camera was deliberately used in a wet environment (quite damp suggests rain not complete immersion in a river). So a weather proof camera is a reasonable recommendation rather than buying a direct replacement. gfy.

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Natural to you but not to me so I'm not surprised by the OP's response.

andy8442, EightBitTony and RogerMac like this.
  18. Craig20264

Is it any wonder new members are put off with responses like that. Your original reply was also pretty unhelpful. Op's camera was already wet so the advice to buy a weatherproof one wasn't cutting it really.

RogerMac, andy8442 and EightBitTony like this.
  19. Ffolrord

A replacement camera is a better option than a shutter replacement (ie: beyond economic repair). No?