1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 5D2 shutter count

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Grierson, Apr 14, 2019 at 10:41 AM.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

I am selling my 5D2 but a number of prospective buyers have asked for the camera's shutter count. A trawl of the internet has not highlighted any safe method of checking this (the security software on this computer throws up warnings) and there does not seem to be a 'standard' approach for the 5D2. I wonder if any forum member has used an accurate and as importantly safe method of checking. Many thanks - John

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Just make an estimate and add 50% or 100% and say it's an estimate. I think you need a Canon service centre to get an accurate count which is, in any case, no indication of anything other than past use. There are lots of posts on shutter-counts if you search the forum.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I suggest exiftool by Phil Harvey.
    https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/index.html
    If you are just wanting to read exif data in Windows then I suggest that you extract exiftool(-k) onto your desktop. Then you can drop any image file onto it and read the exif data in a command window.
    Security. You can expect a warning that the publisher could not be verified. I would not be worried about that in this case provided you download it from the address above. Exiftool has a good reputation.

4. Grierson

Thanks chaps. I would personally not think of asking for the shutter count if I was buying a second hand camera, the actual physical condition would be what I would look for, but it would appear that many people require it. I did look through previous postings but from what I have read, possibly wrongly, extracting the count is very much more difficult with Canon than with other makes/models.
    I will, however, try Phil Harvey’s tool. Many thanks again. - John

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Eos-count works on the 6D but one has to buy a licence.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They are stuffed with Fujifilm cameras, counts are not possible.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Exiftool doesn't return 5D2 shutter counts, to the best of my knowledge.

If I remember correctly, only the 1Dx series report shutter count in their Exif data.

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I gave up trying to get it for my 7D although suspect it could be worked out using the developers toolkit to find the layout of the data and identify the field in a file.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I understand that it has to be read from the camera, which means writing a program using the developers toolkit, but additional knowledge is needed as the tookit doesn't have an explicit function call to get the count.

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Eos count is supposed to work with the 5dii (and 7D).

12. Grierson

Many thanks to everyone. EOS Count does indeed work with my 5D2. For the princely sum of £1.45 I can now answer when questioned!! Whether that information will ultimately aid the sale of the camera, well that’s another matter. Again thanks for all the responses - John

RogerMac and daft_biker like this.
  13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

It is still a fine camera, I'm sure it will sell.

14. Grierson

Thanks, I hope so. It has served me very well but the weight is now becoming too much for my extended years!

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yes indeed, I stand corrected. The only Canon camera that I own is an S90 zoom compact. I have inspected the exif from files using exiftool and shutter count is not present. A lot of stuff is not present.