1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 500d v 1200d

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Adam Farmer, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Adam Farmer

Adam Farmer New Member

Hi,

I've been using my Canon 500d for years now and recently had a 1200d passed on to me. I was wondering in peoples opinion which would be better to use for sports/action photography such as motorsports and airshows.

Thanks

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Two of the useful measures are frames per second (they're box max 3fps) and how good the AF is at tracking stuff. I don't know if the 1200D is better than the 500D but I suspect there's so little in it they're both going to be the same.

The 1200D is lighter (I think), so if you find carrying the 500D hard work, the 1200D will be easier. I suspect you'd get more benefit from carrying both and using two different lenses than you would from focusing on one over the other.

Adam Farmer likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The AF performance depends on the lens as well as the body. You have to find the best combination. As Tony said, it is often better at an event to have 2 cameras with different focal length lenses than be swapping lenses or using a superzoom.

Adam Farmer likes this.
  4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I would expect the 500D to be the slightly better option for action photography. According to the specs it offers 3.4fps vs 3 for the 1200. The buffer depth is larger with 9 raws before stopping against 6 for the 1200D If saving JPEG only the difference is still marked (170ish vs 69 for the 1200) but it's arguable that you'd rarely shoot a 69 shot burst let alone 170!...

I agree with Pete & Tony that 2 bodies can be better than one at events where the action can happen at different distances often moving from one to the other far more rapidly than you can change a lens. My inclination would be to keep the 500D for the more distant stuff and use the 1200D for close quarters.

Adam Farmer likes this.
  5. Adam Farmer

Adam Farmer New Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Definitely going to take your advice of having one short and one long range camera. After going to the F1 yesterday I tried both cameras out at long range using my Sigma 70-300mm lens, and after looking at the pictures the 1200D images look a lot sharper than my old 500D so still undecided on which to use :confused:. As Tony said the 1200D is lighter aswell which is helpful when holding the camera up for long periods of time.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thw 500D's sensor is not one of Canon's best, whereas the 18MP one is pretty decent.

Adam Farmer likes this.