1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 100-400L IS

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Wavemachine, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Wavemachine

Wavemachine Member

a few months ago I bought a second hand Canon 100-400L IS, this is the original mki version.

I noticed today when taking the lens off there is a slight chinking noise when it is turned over, I am guessing this is the bearings in the friction ring, is this normal?

Thanks

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The early IS lenses can rattle a bit. I don't know about that particular one.

3. Wavemachine

Wavemachine Member

I am guessing it is a fairly early version of IS as it is only two stop and the lens was originally released in 1998.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The IS works by slight movement of some elements, as such they tend to have a slight rattle, only worry about it if things are not working properly.

5. Wavemachine

Wavemachine Member

Cheers thanks, I am looking at the mkii version of the lens and was looking to sell this one maybe it has always done it and I haven’t taken any notice of it.

6. Wavemachine

Wavemachine Member

Thanks for the replies, the mystery is now solved, it is the Tripod ring the sound is coming from inside there, I think something has come loose as now having removed it the thumb screw won’t tighten, the thread looks pretty bad as well so I would say it was always a bit dodgy as this is the first time I have ever removed it.

Seems to be around £120 for a genuine canon replacement but I only bought the lens in August and it has a 12 month warranty so I will try to get them to replace it.

Thanks to everyone who replied.