1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 100-400 test

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PentaxManiac, Apr 9, 2015.

1. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Interested in Michael Topham's test of this new telezoom from Canon in the latest issue by his passing reference to the lens hood. Not the most exciting aspect of a new lens, I hear you say, but it seems Canon have caught on to something Pentax have been doing for some time now.

The ideal conditions for a polarising filter are in bright light. These are also the conditions when a lens hood is particularly necessary. A shame, then, that the two are not really compatible - you need to be able to hold the filter to roatate it, and if the hood is deep enough to have any real effect you can't. Pentax came up with a solution: the earliest use of which that I'm aware of being with the 24-90 introduced in 2001. There's a removable section of the hood which allows you to rotate the polariser. As it's at the six o' clock position there's little risk of the flare you're looking to avoid by fitting the hood in the first place.

From what Michael says it would appear Canon are now doing this. Unlikely, I know, but it would be great if they now made similar hoods available for some of their earlier lenses too.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Providing that we could afford them. Canon certainly know how to charge for lens accessories! It wouldn't surprise me if one of the enterprising 3rd. party Far East manufacturers comes up with them, and at an affordable price. The 3rd. party hood on my EF 35 F/2 IS USM is from JJC, and is well made and complements the lens - all for £13.19 post paid. (£50 for the Canon version from WEX.)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Pentax will have picked it up from the friends at Tokina, who have been using it for longer than that. And Leica have ben doing something similar for decades.
    Why it's taken Canon so long to do is a mystery to me.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'm not normally one to praise Canon, but reading a lens review a short while ago it said that on the zoom lens in question the zoom could be locked at any focal length of the zoom range. Very useful when pointing lens straight up/down if the lens has a tendency to creep.

As with the lens hood cut-out, not really rocket science but why has it taken so long for someone to think of it.

(apologies if some manufacturer already had).