1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 100-400 Mk I (sic) vs Sigma 150-600 C for general usage

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by cerebros, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

On the other hand if macro and close up are your thing then you need a macro lens, something like the EF 100 f2.8 macro should do the trick. I agree with you the 75-300 needs to be replaced but you will never do macro with eather the 75-300 nor the replacement.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Or the very sharp Fuji 60mm f2.4 Macro...

Snorri likes this.
  3. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

I've already got the original (? the non L version) 100mm f2,8 which is fine for pure macro, but I also mentioned "close up" as when I can't physically get close enough to try and fill as much of the frame on the 100mm (not necessarily trying to get 1:1) as I can, something like the 100-400mm would come in handy.

For example, I actually got a chance to spend some time photographing ladybirds, butterflies and bees in my mum's garden yesterday. While some of my subjects I was able to get close enough to to fill the frame, some of the others (butterflies in particular) appeared to show a delight in landing towards the back of the bush I was standing next to (up a small stepladder). With the macro lens it was barely worth shooting other than to get a record shot, as I'd have to crop so much to "fill the frame" (or even just make the subject more than just a distant spec); with a long telephoto, assuming it focused close enough (hence why the Canon 100-400 Mk II comes back into consideration), I should have more flexibility to fill more of the frame with the subject - yes, it's not going to be 1:1 but certainly a more usable image than pointing a 100mm at something that's really too far away

4. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

I've actually been waiting to see what happens with the 80mm macro they're supposed to be releasing this year, although with my Canon 100mm macro I've often found myself wishing I could hit 1:1 from further away so I'll be interested to see how close you need to be with the 80mm macro on the Fuji to achieve 1:1. (I'm aware on Canon I could get the 180mm macro for 1:1 from further away but I don't shoot macro enough to justify the outlay on the 180mm)

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Sigma's 105mm works with Canon's 1.4x teleconverter (Canon's own macro lenses won't). For stuff under 1cm then the macro wins. For bigger beasties like butterflies I'm undecided. Great image quality with the 100-400 mkii on my 7d2 and slick, accurate AF.