1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannon EOS 1000f

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Elliott_rush2112, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Elliott_rush2112

Elliott_rush2112 New Member

Hey,
    I am new to this forum, was hoping someone could help me.
    I've been offered a good price on a cannon EOS 1000f and was wodering if it was actually any good and about how much it would be worth?
    I plan to use it for mostly my own stuff and also A lvl photography/portfollio work and what not.

Comes with a cannon 35mm/80mm lens (cant remember all the specs off hand) and is in brand new condition

What does everyone think?
    Any help would be great.

Cheers, Elliott

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Elliot,

Firstly, welcome to the AP forums..

Secondly, when you say a 'good price',you don't mention it. FWIW, you might want to check out some camera stores or E-bay to see what that camera kit is
    selling for just to get an idea. Also, we currently have a EOS 3000 kit that we are selling for about $200 CDN and that is an updated model so hopefully your EOS 1000f kit is selling for (far)less.

Hope this helps.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

<a href="https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm">Ffordes<A> have a 1000F & 38-80mm in excellent condition for £75. Generally this means reasonable signs of use, e.g. scratches, abrasions, shiny bit that used to be matt, but mechanically sound. Ffordes prices are usually a good guide for used kit.

I have an EOS1000 (basically the same but no built in flash) which I have used extensively. By modern standards it's fairly basic: single AF point, 3 zone metering system, no mirror lock or remote release facility, AF system is continuous only with no single frame option and is reckoned slow by current standards (more info can be found<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/f_camera.html" target="_new"> here<A>). That said I've found it reliable, quick and simple to use, if you're on a limited budget it's worth considering at the right price.

I can't comment on the lens specifically as mine came with the 35-105, that lens is sharp although it can distort lines close to the frame edge a little which is not unusual for lenses in this focal range. I would expect the 35-80 to put in similar performance and unless you are particularly aiming at architectural record shots the distortion isn't noticeable.

HTH

Welcome to the forum. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nigel CRIPN

<a href="http://nigelhhayes.fotopic.net/c35346.html" >ElSid Gallery<A>

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

'Good price' means different things to different people. The retail market rate for a clean EOS1000F with 35-80mm lens is £70-80. A private sale should be for a little less though it depends on how clean, whether it comes with the manual, the box, a case etc.

There is the newer (and smaller) model, EOS500, in my local Jessops window for £75 and that comes with a 3 month warranty.

The 1000F was a reasonable basic AF camera from Canon. It may be a little bit plasticky but I've heard no bad reports about them. They are a bit like buying a VW Polo - basic, reliable and does the job.

David

5. Elliott_rush2112

Elliott_rush2112 New Member

Ok, Well i got the Camera. It Cost Me £46 and come in brand new condition, with the lense as i said a manual, carry case, 4 Batterys, a film and some sort of dust remover (which is pretty funky and good for cleaning my guitars).
    It seems to be pretty cool for what i need it for just wanna try and get hold of a 24mm lens for it aswell now.

Thanks for all the advice anyway guys. And i'll be keeping an eye on thsi forum to see if i can learn anything or help anyone in anyways.

Cheers.

Elliott

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

£46 sounds like a good buy. I think this camera winds the film onto the internal spool and then winds it back into the cassette on exposure - the manual will tell you.

Enjoy!

David

7. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

yep, I had an EOS 1000fn, and it wound the film out then back in a frame at a time. Think it was so if the back was accidently opened, you didnt loose your pics.
    The motor in mine packed in, as it was still under warrenty from jessies, I traded it up to an EOS 100/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

<font color=purple>I got my hair cut, and got a job. Now what../img/wwwthreads/wink.gif</font color=purple>

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

£46 is a very good buy if it's in good nick! And yes the EOS1000 series do wind the film back into the cassette after each shot. I found it a bit disconcerting at first after years of going the other way but I'm used to it now.

It's a damn good carry anywhere camera, small enough to be convenient yet chunky enough to give comfortable handling even with a lens as bulky as my 35-135.

Nigel CRIPN

<a href="http://nigelhhayes.fotopic.net/c35346.html" >ElSid Gallery<A>

9. mog505

mog505 Member

My first SLR was a canon EOS 500 second hand from the Photo Factory in Aberdeen,for my 18th birthday. I got it for £100 with a brand new Canon 35-80mm USM AF lens, that was 4 years ago. It is still going well and whilst I have moved up to an EOS 50e I shall never ever get rid of the 500. Its a marvellous camera and since I was a beginner (some might say I still am) I couldnt have asked for a better start. Its reliable, does everything you ask it to and is as light as a feather!
    Long live the cheap EOS, thats what I say.