1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you ID this plant?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daft_biker, Aug 20, 2017.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

In spring I cleared my back garden back to bare dirt to start a garden for growing food with the bairn (now 12) but didn't use all the space this year so some of it has been left and is now mostly covered in grass tufts and other common "weeds".

I have no idea what this one I didn't plant is so if anybody recognises it I'd be grateful for an ID....

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG
    The spiky balls appear to start as flowers.

PS. Mmmmmmmmm.......
    IMG_1444.JPG
    :D

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There seems to be an inconsistency. Eat the peas and compost he remaining plants that bred the peas.
    AS to he other stuff I have no idea. I hope that it is not something that has to be reported and costs thousands of pounds to clear.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Thanks Martin. I hope that the peas were ok. AS for the Jimson weed; how do you get rid of it?

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's an annual, so pulling or cutting (Wear gloves) is sufficient, but a translocated herbicide like Roundup is probably better as the roots can be harmful to other plants. Apparently its seeds can lay dormant for a century, so its important to take action before the seed head bursts. DB's digging for a veggie patch probably stimulated some dormant seeds.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Just looked up some vids of people tripping on this and talking about their experience on it. I've had prescribed to me drugs cause me to forget where I was and feel lost and alone out in the woods and didn't like it so this stuff definitely is not for me. I don't like hangovers or come-downs either so you can keep the sore head and confusion too.

On the other hand the seed pods are quite photogenic and it has been entertaining the neighbors so I might keep it a little longer. Time to break out the tripod and TS-E;)