1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you fix my video recorder?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Sep 7, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

A few years ago, when I used to tell people I worked in IT, they'd eventually get around to asking if I could fix their video recorder or some other electrical / electronic device that I had no hope in hell of being able to fix.

However, that's not the point of this post.

Around 18 months ago, I was at a UK Comic Con - another failed attempt by me to go and take photographs of cosplayers. As I was walking around, with my Canon 7D2 and mounted-flash, a group of young women approached me. I guess they were students, one of them was Japanese. She had a Nikon, and it wasn't doing what she wanted.

She wanted to lock the ISO, but the camera was still acting like it was in Auto. I've read about this on Nikon's before (and some Canons), where the camera has a 'protection' mode if you've set a mixture of Aperture and Shutter speed which will still under expose, and set the ISO manually, it'll increase the ISO until it can expose the image properly.

I had a vague notion of how to change it on a Canon.

Anyway, she wanted me to show here how to fix it on her Nikon.

You know, because I had a stupidly big camera with me.

Anyway, I said I'd try, and asked if I could cycle through the menus myself, she seemed a big reluctant to give me her camera, so I handed mine to a friend of hers, which seemed to help.

So I turned the camera, and hit the menu button - at this point you're thinking, hah, it's a Nikon he's got no clue how to find the right menu setting.

That's partially correct - but I was more stumped by the fact that the menus were all in Japanese (Hiragana I think). I kind of looked at her lost, and she briefly looked sad as if I couldn't help before she realised I just couldn't actually read the menu.

Anyway, she changed it to English, I found the setting, and sent them on their way.

A few weeks ago, I was standing in the city centre shooting photographs of a Pride carnival, when a Sony shooter asked me how to switch his lens into auto focus. I couldn't help him at all for that one - luckily another guy was walking past, overheard and could help out.

Anyone else get hijacked to fix other people's cameras?

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

You must have a kind face Tony.

I was recently at an event to photograph my daughter when she was part of a group, I had a DSLR so I was obviously a photographer and ended up taking pictures on somebody else's camera phone and none on my own camera.

Shortly after, I was at a bird hide and as I had a long lens I was obviously a bird expert.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Nobody's ever asked me to operate their camera for them or fix it either. I can't be carrying a big enough camera. :cool:

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

as I have said several times, thank goodness for selfie sticks, saves no end of figuring out how tourist's cameras work.

Craig20264 and EightBitTony like this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I went for a walk with my mate around Attenborough Nature Reserve once, he had his Canon 100-400 L, and was stopped by two different sets of people and asked questions about birds. Neither of us know squat about birds.

Mind you, speaking of kind faces, he does have one, and is able to strike up conversations with complete strangers at the drop of a hat, an ability of which I'm envious. It isn't always good news though - because (as we found out a week ago) he's often the first person to be approached by 'colourful' folk if we are in the city, especially if we're sitting outside a coffee shop just chatting and photographing strangers.

6. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Yes my wife is always being asked, usually as she is trying to take one with her iphone. When we are together if someone comes up with a phone for a photo I call her as me and phones are not the best of friends.
    As for Cosplay, there is a big one coming up at the Excel centre London, on October 27-29, as you may be aware, Friday is best for viewing -less people, Saturday is the busy day, lots of photo ops. We recently took the daughter to the one at Warwick Uni, just thought we were dropping her off, grabbing a coffee and leaving WRONG, 2 hours later, after regretting leaving the camera in the car, we got away, and this was Friday early afternoon, before the main lot arrived, lots of very "interestingly" dressed people!
    john

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have the same face. Well, the same kind of face. I'm quite comfortable chatting to strangers and photographing them, but the down side is that every nutter in town is equally comfortable in approaching me!

I haven't had anyone ask me to help them fix their shooting issues or camera outside of art school where it was common for people to be directed to me for just that. But I AM regularly approached in stores where I don't work and asked if I can get this in a bigger size, or if I stock such-and-such, or if I could order things. I must just look like I work in retail. I have also been approached and asked for directions in places I've only just landed myself. In Washington DC the lost tourists in question were in luck because I had literally just left the place they were trying to reach so I was able to send them on their way quite confidently even though I'd only been in town about three hours.

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

What I do get, all the time, when I am carrying a camera, is couples approaching me, handing me their camera and asking me to take a picture of the two of them.

EightBitTony likes this.