1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you advise the mount of this lense

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by ipbr21054, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ipbr21054

ipbr21054 Active Member

Afternoon all,
    Ive just joined this forum & saying hello to all members.

I recently purchased a Sony A58 with an 18-55 lens.
    Whilst i am saving for a 70-300 tele lense i noticed on a well known auction site a lense i would like to use as a stop gap.
    It was listed as follows.
    Tamron Lense 70-300mm Minolta AF Fitting.

The lense arrived today but it will not fit the A58 as its fitting is to large,it has 62mm diameter on the body.
    I noticed on the side of it that it also reads 572D.

Can i ask please, did i purchase the wrong item or was it listed wrong in respect of Minolta AF fitting.
    I was under the assumption that all Minolta AF where all Sony A mount compatible.
    Thus this being a Pentax or Nikon maybe ?

Many thanks for your time.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A Minolta A fitting lens is compatible with Sony A. If the mount on the lens is too large it suggests it might be Canon. A quick google shows this as an old version, there might just be compatibility problems even if it did fit. If it doesn't fit I would say you were sold the wrong item, could you either post a link to the item or take and post a picture of the mount?

3. ipbr21054

ipbr21054 Active Member

4. ipbr21054

ipbr21054 Active Member

Here is the mount.

[​IMG]

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I'd say that lens is not a Minolta A fitting. Wrongly listed, send it back.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Looks like Canon, there's only one mention of Minolta AF on the ebay listing, but it looks wrong to me.

7. ipbr21054

ipbr21054 Active Member

Would you like another photo,if so how or what would you like to see.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sony bought Minolta but the cameras have changed quite a lot since the first AF models. I had a quick look and I could not find specific mention of a change in the A mount from Minolta to Konica-Minolta to Sony. If the diameter is completely different it sounds like a mislabelled lens. Never bought a third party lens but would expect it to say somewhere what the mount was.

The 572D just means it is has a close focus setting http://www.tamron-usa.com/assets/pdfs/572D.pdf

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Looks awfully like a Canon EF mount to me. Here is one of mine
    Canon EF mount.JPG

10. ipbr21054

ipbr21054 Active Member

It does look like the cannon image supplied.
    I then conclude that the listing of where it shows MINOLTA AF is incorrect for the lense supplied.

RogerMac likes this.
  11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

12. Roger_Provins

Those Minolta A mount lens with ADI support had 8 connectors. But anyway the photo of the mount is not Minolta.

Snorri likes this.
  13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That looks like Canon. Given that it is quite an old lens it would have been screw drive had it been A mount, this has no screw drive. Send it back as misdescribed.

14. ipbr21054

ipbr21054 Active Member

Hi,
    You were correct this lense was a Cannon.
    I have since got my money back but now looking for something in the mean time before i can by a new tele lense.

Looking on ebay i see these 3 items shown below.
    There is a 70-300 & two 100-300
    I am just in need of a lense where i can take shots without having to get that close to the subject.
    What difference will i notice with the focal length at 70 as opposed to the 100 ?
    Looking at all three i see they are all compatible for the Sony A mount.

If you were to select one of these can you advise which one & why.
    Many thanks for your time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minolta-A...003901&hash=item25dc0ea535:g:lAsAAOSwFypZeIQ3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Konica-Mi...730821&hash=item2cc3694165:g:cpIAAOSwVFZZdhPR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minolta-A...003901&hash=item33d23c7432:g:AAIAAOSwIjJZXBJu

15. Roger_Provins

Go to the Dyxum site and check out the reviews. You should be able to decide which is best for your needs.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The 100-300 apo is a better performer than any of those listed, mind that is reflected in the price they sell for!

17. Roger_Provins

I have an old Minolta 75-300mm (known as the big beercan) all real metal and real glass. Great hefty lump but tack sharp and nice smooth out of focus highlights. Matches the weight of a Sony a900 well. :)

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

May I suggest that, as you are new to this camera, you see if you can find a local dealer with secondhand stock that will let you try lenses on your camera.
    If you find what you are looking for in the dealer's stock buy it from there. You will also get a warranty which may not be the case buying on eBay.

19. ipbr21054

ipbr21054 Active Member

Hi
    I purchased a different lense than the links above.
    It's a Minolta 100-300 and so far pleased with it.

Many thanks for your replies.