1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I shoot 1/50 shutter speed on my Nikon d7000

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Ross hannibal, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Ross hannibal

Ross hannibal New Member

So I’m shooting on M mode and I know I can reach 1/50 shutter speed. It seems like I can’t reach it. Closes I can get is 1/45 and 1/60 shutter speed but idk what I’m doing wrong. I’m shooting on M mode but idk how to find out how to shoot on 1/50

2. Ross hannibal

Ross hannibal New Member

I’ve seen videos where it reaches 1/50. Btw I’m new to photography

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Ross, There are set values. Whole steps (called stops) are based on a series of powers of 2. So 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30,1/15, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2 .. etc. Cameras can usually be configured to give either half or one third stop intervals between these. So in shutter priority you can get 2 values between 1/60 and 1/30 if your camera is set up for 1/3 stops and one value between if set for half stops.

The lens units (F number) also goes, basically, in steps of 2 on the area of the aperture. To be awkward it is the diameter that is used, so the lens is marked approximately square root of 2 (1.414) steps (called stops) e.g F2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, 32. Again depending on how the camera is set up there may be one setting between (half stops) or two between (third stops).

in practical terms all you can set is the closest third to the exposure time you want. With fully electronic shutters and apertures they could be continuosly variable. The sequence dates from when they were mechanical settings. On a film camera the exposure times were mostly engraved on a dial on the top - which was self-limiting on space - so full stops only were standard. The lens apertures and top dial settings were physical click settings - I guess that's where "stop" comes from. The lens circumference was much bigger than the dials so allowed for intermediate settings whence the series of 1 or 2 intermediate steps comes from.

To keep an exposure value constant, assuming a fixed ISO, you change the exposure time by one (or half or third) and modify the aperture by the corresponding one (or half, or third) adjustment. Reducing exposure time needs increasing aperture so 1/250 to 1/500 needs (say) F8 to F5.6 if. ( 1/250, F8 ) was the starting point.

The ISO also goes in steps of 2 (200,400,800, 1600, etc) with one or two intermediate settings depending on camera option. If you keep aperture constant, e.g. F8 and change exposure time from 1/250 to 1/500 (one stop) then to keep exposure value constant you must increase 1s0 by one stop say from 200 to 400 if your starting point was 200.

I hope that helps.

GeoffR likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Ross,

Why do you want 1/50 instead of 1/45? What difference are you expecting in your pictures?

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A very clear and concise explanation.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Given that the displayed/marked shutter speeds are actually an abbreviation there is little value in worrying about such a small difference.
    It has already been explained that each stop (step) represents a halving/doubling of the light reaching the sensor. So this would naturally give a scale of 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/16, 1/64, 1/128 etc. But that isn’t the scale we use; the available full stops are 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125. So, as Roger says, what difference do you expect between 1/45 and 1/50? For all practical purposes they are the Sam.

7. Ross hannibal

Ross hannibal New Member

Idk just some guy said 1/50 is better. But it’s getting to the point where I don’t care if it’s 45 or 50

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That's the spirit! If you look on the internet for advice, particularly bloggers you find that some of them talk of write complete nonsense. They love !I've to show off their technical knowledge but to all intents and purposes some of them haven't got a clue.
    Having said that in P more it's quite possible that 1/50 or 1/40 or 1/45 could have been shown as the time setting but in that case the camera is setting the shutter speed electronically rather than you setting it mechanically.

peterba likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This is true. On the other hand some posters are very accurate and careful of their statements.

The trick is to identify which is which. :(

peterba likes this.
  10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just for the record I have just checked my cameras starting with a 1956 model up to my current Canon and Olympus and all offer a 1/50 setting. I rather doubt the mechanical ones were any better than approximate indications

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Hi Ross

If you haven't already given up with this (or us...) check your shutter speeds by scrolling through them. If they progress 1/30, 1/45, 1/60th then the exposure increment is set at half stop intervals. To change this go to the Custom settings tab (the one with the little pencil symbol) and select item b2 (see page 211 of the manual) and select the 1/3-stop option. This should now give you a sequence of 1/30, 1/40, 1/50, 1/60 etc.

FWIW I tend to set my ISO option to 1 stop intervals and the exposure control option to 1/3rd stop.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I set one of my cameras to S today and the sequence at 1/3 stop intervals is 1/30, 1/40, 1/50, 1/60 so, as has already been said,1/ you are looking at 1/2 stop increments if you have 1/45 as an option. The comment on the difference between 1/45 and 1/50 remains though it is insignificant, and 1/6 stop.

13. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

1/50 th ???? In S or M, you should get shutter speeds of 1/60 then 1/30. Do you have the "protection" activated (can't remember what Nikon call it) that prevents under-exposure?
    If you don't have access to the manual, what bout downloading it from Nikon's website or if you have a smartphone, use Nikons Manual Viewer app to read the D7000 manual?

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That is correct for full stops but the D7000 can have shutter speed and aperture setting in Full, Half and One third stop increments, 1/50 is 1/3 stop from 1/60 and is possible.

15. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    Well, you learn something every day. Just got my D7000 out and on S, it goes 1/125 1/100 1/80 1/60 1/50 1/40 1/30 1/25 1/20 (other settings are also available)