1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Freelance photographer apply for a Press Pass?

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by David05633, May 17, 2016.

  1. David05633

    David05633 New Member

    I am a freelance portrait, wedding, music venue and nightclub photographer. Am I eligible to apply for a press pass? If so then how do I obtain one? The kind of photography that I want to end up doing is Red Carpet events in Leicester Square and Music Concerts in London. If someone could give me some advise it would be hugely appreciated. Thank you
  2. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    Bit of professional insight needed I'd think. Genreally speaking I'd expect it all hinges on contacts and reputation or employer.
  3. David05633

    David05633 New Member

    I've taken photos of Avenged Sevenfold, Army Of Bones, Lucy Rose, Kesha, Kelly Clarkson, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Girls Can't Catch, Jonas Brothers, Mc Fly, The Streets and the Saturdays in concert and when Kerry Katona and Danny-Boy Hatchard came in to the nightclub I was their official photographer
  4. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    Assuming those are people you know in the music industry their management should be able to explain how it works. There will be no barrier to asking for a press pass to an event but to get one I expect you need a client that the event manager favours for the event publicity. There may be help at the Bureau of Freelance Photographers http://www.thebfp.com. Good luck.
  5. 0lybacker

    0lybacker In the Stop Bath

    If you are shooting for a publication, they will usually take care of it. If it's an event that you wish to attend speculatively, then contact both the venue and the organisers (not necessarily the same) and request one. They may say 'No'. They may ask to see some work, and then say 'No', but perhaps 'Yes'. Sometimes they will be happy to have people photographing for all sorts of reasons including some pictures they can use for news items in the press, outside of the standard stuff. With music, theatre, film, television, then things get a lot more complicated and restrictions may apply for all sorts of copyright and contractual reasons.

    Red carpet? Anyone can take photos but if you want to rub elbows (your own, maybe ribs, too as you may encounter other sharp elbows) with the Press Photographers in the pen, then you really need to be working for a publication. Suggest you turn up at some 'dos' and shoot pics from the public areas, put together a selection and show them to Editors for a pass next time. Being in the pen is not necessarily an advantage: you get the same pics as everyone else. For music concerts, see advice in first para. Seems like you should have enough stuff in a portfolio to at least be considered.

    Why don't you go round some of the appropriate PR agencies?
  6. Roger Hicks

    Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

    Anyone can apply for 'em. It's getting 'em that's the difficult bit. And there is no such thing as a universal press pass: it tends to be police force by police force, commercial organization by commercial organization, or even event by event. I used to have an NUJ ticket but I never found even an NUJ press pass to be much use.



Share This Page