1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cameras and unique colours.

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Atavar, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Black dots cost extra...

But proper Leicas don't have red dots anyway.

Cheers,

R.

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

How about having one gold plated.......with silver plated lenses..........and a gold and silver thread weaved neck strap.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It does seem to be more of an accessory and status symbol than a camera thse days.
    Give me anything, with brilliantly good lenses! It can be pink with blue spots, so long as it the results are gorgeous.

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, I must admit I was concerned about that when I ordered the K-3 Prestige, but I genuinely liked the colour and it was no more expensive. Had it been much dearer then I would not have bothered. I have had a couple of sarky remarks, one friend asked if I bought it because it matched the colour of my eyes.......:).

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yuk, even a proper camera looks horrible in gold...

[​IMG]

;) :D

6. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I've just bought a special Pentax Q-S1, and chose black with dark khaki green. And why not.....

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Congratulations John, why not indeed :)

Really good to hear, if someone is going to buy something, why not have it the way you want it? It is yours​ after all :)

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Atavar, I have held a theory for a long time that the ideal incognito street camera would be flesh coloured to match the user's face so that when raised to the eye it wasn't as obvious as a black bodied camera. :) Cheers, Oly

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I'd have agreed with you, elSid, until about ten years or so ago, but now I'm not so sure. Think I've got a case of 'black plastic overload'. Saw an Olympus Trip 35 t'other day that was dressed in a pale blue covering: ('Whispering Bob' voice) "Mmmm ..... nice." :D Cheers, Oly

10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

You'd look like you were wearing the world's largest monocle. :)

11. johnriley1uk

12. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Here's a really odd thing that I've noticed in recent years. I can use a chrome camera for candids and no-one takes any notice. Point an all black camera at anyone, be it ever so small, and all eyes turn towards me.

What's all that about, then?

[​IMG]

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

As more and more people's experience of taking pictures is on phones and other devices, they get further away from first hand experience of using a big black camera... And anything recognisablely familiar but unfamiliar can be viewed upon with uneasy suspicion.

In my dissertation I discussed and coined the term "Aequiperantium" in relation to auto mode in photography, and the same can be applied in his case with simple change of colour of a camera causing different reactions. Aequiperantium is defined as "... [comparison] by means of equivalent relations. Instead of connecting ideas in a cause-and-effect chain, we trace them back to a common origin". Think of this in terms of the often heard "wow, you must have a good camera" and you'll see what I mean. If someone has only ever used auto mode, ofcourse their assumption will be your camera is good. Auto is the only equivalent experience they can link between their experience of taking pictures and what you are doing.

In this case the common origin can trace back to the last time they took a picture with a similar camera (like we do) or the last time they had their picture taken by a similar camera if they have never used one. Assumptions and conclusions are generally drawn from this common ground... As more and more people are not using big black boxes to take pictures, they do not have that experience to compare back to, perhaps their last experience of the big black box being a school photo or other uncomfortable experience. A chrome coloured big box could be just far away enough from their experience to distance itself or relate to another instance in their memory...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Come to think about it, if they had only ever used a camera phone it is more than likely they have only ever seen big black cameras portrayed in the media - the paparazzi running around being suspicious, the investigators in Who-done-it murder tv shows surrounded by corpses whenever the camera comes out to record the scene, the suspicious chap in the movie using a big black camera... All negative connotations.

I've never seen a chrome coloured camera used in these portrayals and it may go some way to perhaps explaining this, why exactly the same camera in shiny chrome can be ignored while the black one is gawped at in distrust.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  17. johnriley1uk

I can't think of any time I've noticed anyone bahaving differently because of different coloured cameras. I've stood right in front of people shooting their pictures and often they don't take it in at all, being completely oblivious.

I think it depends far more on how the photographer goes about things - some are not noticed, some let their nervousness make them look shifty, and everything in between.

18. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

This is true. However, forty odd years ago, when I bought my first black painted Nikon, I noticed the reverse to my current experience, so I reckon that Atavar may well be on to something with his "Aequiperantium"-ism.

:cool: