1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camera insurance

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by snowqueen, Oct 15, 2010.

  1. snowqueen

    snowqueen Well-Known Member


    I just wondered (as im looking for cover) how many of you insure you camera and if you do this with your home insurance (does that cover travel) or if you have a seperate policy for your camera equipment???
  2. MickLL

    MickLL Well-Known Member

    I used to insure it separately through Glover and Howe. I made one claim and they were excellent.

    However I discovered that I could get (apparently) the same cover through my home insurance very much more cheaply and so I changed. Luckily I have not made a claim under the new regime and so can't tell you if it was a good decision.

  3. snowqueen

    snowqueen Well-Known Member

    Thanks mick,
    ive looked at cover for the camera and its about £6 a month....its good to know when you did make a claim you had no problems.
    will look at home insurance.
  4. Mojo_66

    Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

    Mine's covered under the home insurance for theft or accidental damage in and away from the home for up to £1500. I rang up and checked.
  5. dileas

    dileas Well-Known Member

    I have my photo stuff insured on my household policy. It allows me to take up to £2000 of kit outside the home. Recently, I wanted to add a pile of Hasselblad stuff to the policy (not all boyhood fantasies get to come true), and they told me they'd up the out-of-doors amount to £4000, no extra on the premium, as long as no individual item (body, lens, etc) reached £1000. That's through esure. No claims made yet.

    Incidentally, we switched to them some years ago after I asked my then insurer (through one of the big banks) to add in a new pile of photo gear. When I cited the total, she went off for a bit, then came back and asked about our home windows, which were new PVC glazeing. Said they couldn't insure me because the window catches as I described them were not key-locked from the outside. I wasn't sure I was hearing right, so asked her to repeat it, that they needed there to be locks on the outside of the windows. I heard right first time. I did wonder aloud how that would square up to building and fire regulations for an insurance company, but it seemed to go over her head.
  6. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    My stuff is supposed to be (according to my request) as individually named items under the all-risks section of my home insurance policy but when I was clearing some papers out the other day I found the policy and they weren't there. Apparently the insurers advised that the 1500 single item maximum would apply and the precaution of naming the items was unnecessary. I rather doubt that if push came to shove they would count, say, an outfit of body and 3 lenses as 4 separate items in a claim. I rarely go out with more than 1 lens at a time but even so the replacement cost of say a Canon 5D + 70-200 2.8 is still eyewatering and I can't see that claiming 2x 1500 for 2 items would wash at all. The insurers would call it one camera and say it was insufficiently covered with view to the replacement price - probably reducing the effective cover to 750 (replace cost 2x insured value = divide benefit by 2). I am being very careful.
  7. MickLL

    MickLL Well-Known Member

    Not true - at least with my insurance.

    I checked that very point and was assured that if the items can be bought separately then they are insured separately. So if a lens and camera separately are less than the 'value limit' but together above it then the claim would be met in full.

  8. Barney

    Barney Well-Known Member

    You're not being careful, merely ignorant of the way insurance works. The insurance company is absolutely right, you have no need to specify each individual item unless they come to more than the single article limit, and if you were to, your premium would absolutely rocket, because you'd be insuring each item individually on top of the cover you've already got.

    If you want to be careful, take a note of the serial number of each item and retain with your proof of ownership (receipt, box, manual etc). That way, in the event of any claim you can easily evidence your ownership of each item. You can forward this list in advance to your insurers, but it's not necessary and they won't thank you for it.

    Edit: I should add that I've yet to find an insurance policy to better mine for single article limits: £2,500 per item for a total of £5,000 cover under personal possessions. Unfortunately, thanks to recent price hikes, the costs of replacing my D3 and 200/2 have both gone above £3,000 meaning I've had to specify them. :(

    I should further add, you can only use your household insurance policy if you can evidence that the majority of the use the kit is put to is personal. Doing the odd paid job here and there isn't going to stop a claim, but being registered with HMRC as a photographer claiming against the items might.
  9. snowqueen

    snowqueen Well-Known Member

    Thanks everyone :)

Share This Page