1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Jul 14, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The A428 and A14 are designed to create massive jams. They feed into a huge bottleneck at M11.

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You're not wrong there! I was up that way today. A14 -A1 up to Peterborough, then down the A1 to Biggleswade, then back up the A1-A428-A14 back to Ipswich. I was in Peterborough for 7.30am, so missed the traffic, but if you don't get through A14/A428/M11 convergence early, you're dead in the water. May as well open your sandwiches early.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Lesley
    When you do make it to Cambridge (hopefully tomorrow) make sure you buy some Chelsea buns at Fitzbillies. The shop should be on the route you mapped out for yourself

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Next time I book on the day, look at the weather forecast before I do, don't make such a long day of it and work out where to get the hop on, hop off bus

Coach was fantastic- dead on time and the weather was great. As we came into Cambridge I was stunned at how fantastic some of the buildings were. Where the coach pulled in there was a huge green (Peter's Piece?) and there was some sort of event going on so I figured do the colleges etc then maybe head back this way before the coach goes and have a look at that

I swear it started raining the second I got off the coach- I spent the first hour slowly making my way to the centre in between sheltering at bus shelters. When it was finally less torrential I made a run and found myself in what could have been any town centre anywhere then it starred to pour again forcing me to go i n the Grand Arcade so I have come all this way to end up in a shopping centre!

Finally it stopped and I started out again. I think where I should have turned left I turned right and found myself on King Street. I couldn't really complain I found the Methodist chapel at the end of the street and being Cambridge it had some nice stonework so I got a couple of shots before it started to rain again

Succor was in the form of a pub "King Street Run". I really liked it, the interior design was rather eccentric- they had quotes from movies painted on the beams and I swear there was a blackened leg in the fireplace, The door to the loo had a handle with a "pull" sign so I pulled it. Then realised the door had two handles and I was pulling the wrong one!

It was very friendly as well.

At this point the rain really got going, there was thunder and lightening and it was coming down in sheets! So I had another beer then...well I'd been eyeing it up for ages- could I still do it? It's been years but...come on...I've only ever seen photos of this beauty and there it was flashing at me and I did have some change....It was a Rolling Stones pinball table! So a couple of quid went in...........

I have not lost my touch even though it's been years. First game was a bit scrappy but the second got a replay as did the third and so on, basically I played for about an hour on the two quid and got an audience, which I did not notice until I finished as I was too focused on the flippers (I used to play at college, then I went out with someone who used to buy Bally machines in bad nick and repair them then Dave and me used to play all the time but I haven't seen a table in ages)

Rain stopped so I headed back and found a rather interesting looking church (does Cambridge have any uninteresting ones?) but once again it started chucking it down. There was a market there where I managed to get a truckle of Welsh "Black Bomber" extra mature farmhouse Cheddar with salt crystals- just had a taste and it's worth going back to Cambridge on its own!!!

Decided to get an earlier coach back even if it would cost me another £6 as my feet were killing me!

Walked back to the stop but I needed the loo and food! (I did find the "Jamie's" but there was a queue to get in.) I spotted a pub on the way that looked promising but by the time I arrived it had stopped serving food but they directed me to another pub called something like the "Hopbine" who allegedly did food....I paid a tenner for the worst pub food I have had in years! How can anyone ruin a chicken Kiev and chips? Well the chips were those awful "skinny fries" and the Kiev appeared to have been fried in batter and lacked the garlic butter centre! I ate some of the chicken and the side salad.

Checked and the next coach was still over an hour away and would cost me £12. The next train back to Liverpool Street was only £16.40 and leaving just after 4.20 so I had a cab called and made my way to the station.

Would you believe as soon as I got on the train the Sun really came out?!

So not a lot to show photo wise but I definitely will go back soon

5. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

I was there a couple of weekends ago for a friend's graduation. It started to rain just after the ceremony on Saturday... and carried on throughout the weekend.

It isn''t just you....

LesleySM likes this.
  6. RovingMike

Sounds like you missed Trumpington St and all the colleges! Was alternate bright sun and thunderstorms here too.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the Cambridge cricket tour my club went on in 2008. We got our first game in, on Kings College ground - very posh - but as an extra hand I came on as sub for the opposition when one of their players' pager summoned him to Addenbrookes, and promptly caught our captain! Thus endeth my sole contribution to the game... And the journey into Cambridge itself was livebed up by my lift trying to take the routes he'd used twenty years before whilst utterly ignoring other road users, his indicators, and the changes to the one way systems since.

We ate in a "Greek restaurant" which turned out to be the takeaway in Rose Crescent which had an upstairs room... the food was actually pretty good, but the atmosphere was distinctly lacking. By the time we got into the centre for a shandy practically everywhere had closed (in a student town FFS!), and we ended up somewhere towards the station, near Nandos where a very nice young lady asked me to dance at just about the moment I realised if I drank any more I'd fall over... though it was nice to take the "Tour Stud" title as a result.

The next day... it hurled it down, gale force winds, so we scooted round the doorways of Cambridge for a few hours before the team we were playing on Monday called us to say their ground was already waterlogged, at which point we cut our losses and went home again. What's really annoying is that I'm local - I grew up about twenty miles away.

Adrian

8. LesleySM

Yep missed the lot

Can anyone here explain a statue I saw? It was near Jamie's Italian and looked like several plastic colourful jelly beans and on the top it had a top hat with rats running around the rim and a white cat sitting on top of it!

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Not absolutely sure but there used to be a Cambridge character called Snowy that everyone knew. He always wore a top hat and had animals crawling all over him. Could be a memorial statue?

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Aw, I just googled and yes, assuming this is the statue, then it's a memorial to Snowy. I remember him well - everyone knew him.

Untitled-2.jpg

Apparently he had a last name too but we all just knew him as Snowy.

11. LesleySM

It is! Thanks!

12. RovingMike

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That's very sad. I clicked the link to the earlier article about the statue being an 'artfail' too and have to say that I was nodding along in agreement until I realised that even though I left Cambridge long before he died, Lesley's description of the statue immediately brought him to mind so it certainly works on some level!

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

We made it today, but not without a few wrinkles. As per website, I phoned the number given and booked for us to visit at 12 midday. Drove to Madingley Park & Ride, and got ourselves to Free School Lane, a short distance from Kings Parade which is where I "knew" the old Cavendish is. We found two plaques saying that great things were done here some time ago, but no hint as to where the museum entrance is. So I phoned, and discovered that the museum was not in central Cambridge at all, but in the Cavendish Laboratory at its (new) site in West Cambridge. I rebooked our visit for 3pm, and we had lunch. Then we walked, enjoyed finding places new to me, and walked, and finally got to the Cavendish Laboratory, and were able to wander round the Museum.

Big question. How did I not know that the museum wasn't in Free School Lane? Revisited the website, and clicked on the directions button - it took me to a 404 page. I'd obviously checked this out earlier, and had simply assumed that the Museum was in the original buildings on the site in Free School Lane, where I'd studied 50+ years ago.

Was it worth visiting? Yes. Would I recommend it? Not sure. If you've worked with high vacuum equipment, and experimental glassware, you'll know what to expect, but otherwise I expect it can be somewhat puzzling.