1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Jul 14, 2017.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I don;t have Skype and we shall meet in Oxford in October

2. LesleySM

Used to have some dealings with a company in Cherry Hinton when I ran my own business for a little while. The company was TSR who published Dungeons and Dragons

3. LesleySM

I'm studying the map- my drop off/pick up point is city centre and from there it looks like I am close to quite a few universities and a short walk from the river as an early Marillion fan I have to see punting on the Cam or maybe even punt myself

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Count me out I am afraid - the school summer holidays require some heavy duty child minding and are scheduled by my wife for every day

5. LesleySM

Now just to find somewhere decent and reasonably priced for lunch

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sounds the perfect match for folk music

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Lots of places round the market and down where the punts gather at the southern end, Mill Lane and Silver St. But we prefer up by the Magdalene bridge.

8. LesleySM

Friend suggested the Baron of Beef pub, it's near where the coach drops off and picks up and the food menu is very reasonably priced and mostly pub classics. I don't like it when pubs mess about with food I went in one a while back that did nothing but Mexican food. I think on the day it'll be between bangers and mash and the steak and ale pie

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The landlord of the Castle Inn I. Castle Street used to be one of the Rutles.

Not a lot of people know that...

Adrian

10. RovingMike

Or there's a Jamie's Italian in the town. Look behind the front section to the back room.

11. LesleySM

Batteries charged, memory cards formatted, lenses more or less sorted, maps studied, rough route worked out, tickets printed

Coach out is 10.13- they say to be at the stop 10 minutes beforehand and I need to pick up some cash and water for the trip so heading out about 9.45 to hit the shop then over to my stop.

So much to see and do I really think it might be two trips

Getting rather excited now

steveandthedogs, RogerMac and Geren like this.
  12. RovingMike

Let's see some pics!

13. LesleySM

What a fiasco!

Was just checking my bags and finishing my coffee, it was 9.35, coach arrives 10.13 and they ask you to get to the stop 10 minutes early so would have time to pop to the shop for some water for the trip and get some cash out.

I got a text -owing to the Prudential Ride London Event, which everyone has known about for weeks they aren't running coaches to the Bow Church and Mile End stops today so would I catch my coach from Victoria?

My coach left Victoria 5 minutes ago! They must think I am a Time Lady! Also it will take me at least 40 minutes to get to Victoria tube station and walk round to the coach station never mind trying to find the right coach!

Also if I got a later coach and then had to allow for getting back from Victoria I would have to leave earlier for the return trip it would mean I'd only be in Cambridge for the afternoon and as I don't have a zone 1 travel card I'd have to pay about £4 in tube fares,

So I go online to see if I can change the date to next Saturday,....

No problem apart from a £12 admin fee for changing the date!

So called them and was stuck on hold for ages but it has now been changed.

14. RovingMike

Rotten, but at least you might get better weather.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I do hope you managed to get the fee wavered - were you that lucky? I do hope so.

16. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Bloody Hell.

Most of us are used to transport problems from time to time but when one has been planning and looking forward to a trip for so long, that is simply diabolical. I think that part of the problem is that the folk working in those services see everything as purely routine and fail to appreciate how much their actions can mean to some of their customers.

17. LesleySM

Yep the customer services person did try to say if I chose to change the date then I had to pay the fee, I pointed out I hadn't chosen the change the date they had forced me to change it

I am just mad because this isn't like a sudden emergency if say a water main had burst so they had to re-route coaches at very short notice- they have known this event was happening for months. If when I went to book they had had a message saying today was subject to delays due to the event then I would have booked another day

18. LesleySM

Oh well- due to the fact NatWest after telling me they were closing Bow branch and I could use Whitechapel or Stratford branches then neglecting to tell me they then closed Whitechapel, which I only found out when I headed there yesterday to pay my tax rebate cheque in at least today I could do that so instead of lazing by the Cam- I queued for an age in the bank

19. RovingMike

You mean huddled in a cafe. It's been lashing down there all day. And most of tomorrow too. Looks good for next weekend though.

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Is there a jinx?
    We set off for Cambridge last Monday morning from Milton Keynes. I was hoping to visit the Cavendish Laboratory Museum - and only open Mon-Friday. All went well until we were bypassing St Neots on the A428, and our progress slowed to a very slow crawl. Nothing on the car radio Traffic Programme, so we turned off south looking for a pub lunch, and perhaps dropping in on the RSPB at Sandy. The first pub didn't serve food on a Monday, and we then found Waresley Park Garden Centre, where we enjoyed lunch, and my partner filled the car boot with plants. Perhaps we'll get there next week?