1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Jul 14, 2017.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

As I realise there is a coach direct from over the road to me to Cambridge and really fancying a day out of London I am thinking of taking my camera out in a couple of weeks time to Cambridge for the day

Haven't been there in years and come to think of it the last time I went was for a gaming convention so I haven;t seen much of it so any places I should go?

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

How good are you at walking? And where is the coach going to drop you? Do you want to see the Backs? - i.e. the gardens of the few colleges which actually back on to the River Cam, and where there's punting, canoeing etc. I was thinking of going last Saturday, until I discovered that the museum I was interested in was only open Mon-Friday.
    It's now out of term time, so more Colleges should be open to visitors than during term time, but beware the Long Vac Term can't be far away, and then many colleges close their gates to visitors. Even though I have a CAMCard, I wasn't allowed in to one of the colleges some years ago.
    Cambridge is good for bookshops, cafes; and souvenir shops; and there's the Fitzwilliam Museum for classical art; and at the other end, the Round Church may have a display worth seeing. Some of the colleges with bigger chapels lay on organ recitals e.g. Kings, St Johns.

If you're quick with a camera, you might catch some unfortunate motorist getting their car impaled on the rising bollards which protect Trinity Street. OUCH!

RogerMac likes this.
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

One of the great glories of Cambridge is King's Chapel which (unless you have a Camcard or similar) charges for admission. If that does not put you off you might find this link helpful http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/visit/admission.html

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Do the length of Trumpington St, Trinity St, StJohn's, Bridge St, from the Fitzwilliam past most of the best colleges and keep on to Magdalene over the bridge, or go the other way round. Make sure they are on holidays when you go so you can visit each, they are very different. Peterhouse and Queens are charming, others impressive. Then as said, do the backs in a punt from Magdalene, or down by Mill Lane. But Kings College Chapel has a photography ban I seem to remember. The market is nice and all the posters on railings around the churches and parked bikes.

5. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

The Cambridge Folk Festival is on the last weekend of the month; could be a plus or minus.

6. RogerMac

When I was last there I was testing an OM10 I had bought for practically nothing so I asked and was told "no problem" but of course it might have changed now

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Last time my wife looked it wasn't sold out either, but then it isn't cheap.

8. LesleySM

Thanks everyone for the tips- looks like there's so much to see I'll need two trips to take it all in!

Geren likes this.
  9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Was a sign when we were there a few years ago, which I treated with the contempt it deserved, of course. There is nothing on the website, so don't spring it on me when I get there.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It has been years since I was last in Cambridge - used to live in one of the outlying villages (well, actually, two of them. We moved from Girton to Histon) and had a Saturday job in a pharmacy on Mill Road. In those days the Corn Exchange wasn't a venue as such, just somewhere to hang out and there would often be indoor markets to browse. In fact I seem to remember a lot of markets - the main one in Market Square was where I bought nearly all of my vinyl in the days before HMV and the like - Andy's Records had a stall there. But there were always arts and craft markets popping up all over the place and I've always enjoyed photographing and people watching at such places.

11. RogerMac

Just looked up my images of he Chapel and it was in '12 so rather a long time ago. But here is the proof that I was not thrown out

Chapel Interior720.jpg

Incidentally I would suggest the widest lens you possess

Attached Files:

12. RogerMac

Apologies - I seem to have made a mess of the inclusions and can not work out how to sort it

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't know if you still can but my dad dragged us to the service of lessons and carols in Kings College chapel every Christmas morning that we lived in the area. At the time, as a teenager, I loathed it. None of my friends had to put up with being dragged away from their stockings in such a manner. Looking back, it was something quite quite speical.

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Looks OK to me.
    I remember visiting Kings College Chapel when they had a rare visit of the Mona Lisa - can't remember how they managed the security, but I think they got away with it. Last time I was there, I was sat in the choir pews listening to an organ recital.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Parents know best!, but I know how you felt!

16. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

Photography is permitted in King''s chapel, but flash and tripods aren''t. Sometimes it's allowed in John''s chapel, some are times not...

It's worth visiting places off the main tourist route - Emma, Downing, and Jesus are well worth a look.

RogerMac likes this.
  17. LesleySM

Well I'm booked catching the 10.13 two weeks today that will have me in Cambridge before 12 then catching the 6.50 back, alas two seconds after I'd paid for it did I remember that's the folk festival weekend. Still hopefully that means everyone will be at Cropedy. If anyone's interested in meeting up perhaps we could if not I am just going to have a look round

18. LesleySM

Sigma 10-20 doesn't get a lot of outings but I imagine it will be fine for this

19. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I can Skype from the hospital ;)

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have been in Cambridge town centre on Folk Festival week-end and it wasn't particularly busy, Cherry Hinton is some way East near the airport.