1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C- Lens - Canon 16-35mm EF USM f4

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by RogerMac, Mar 5, 2016.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

On another thread I discussed the possible choices if a wideangle lens to go onto my 6D. I have had it all of two days now and and here are two of the results, one taken at f4 the other at f11. In neither case can I spot any corner shading, the f4 is (naturally) slightly less sharp than the outdoor one but it seems totally acceptable. At f10 or f11 the lens seems as sharp as any I have ever used. I can spot some barrel distortion wide oped and, depending on the subject, that may need correction. I suspect that the lack of corner shading may be due to the camera, not the lens, as corners of an ultra wide angle have to be stretched in a rectilinear design and this will reduce the light available for exposing.

On construction it feels solid and moves smoothly. Canon have finally seen the light and it has a center pinch lens cap. Another nice point is that the lens hood does not rely on friction to hold it on but clicks into place and needs a button press to release

[​IMG]Lyme harbour by Roger Macdonald, on Flickr

[​IMG]Lyme church by Roger Macdonald, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You just made me wonder if Lightroom will open a Canon lens-corrected .CR2. I haven't used the correction other than playing when it first came out , mainly because it doubled the file size. I now use DPP mainly for "weeding" with the quick check tool before importing what's left into LR. Probably the answer is no because LR has its own correction data for Canon lenses.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's actually the only thing I dislike about the lens (and other recent Canon lenses) - I find them much less reliable than the old type, and that they fall off much more often - mostly because they're much harder to put on correctly. First lens I had with one of these was the 24-70 f4 L, and I lost it in a river in New England.

Aside from that, though, this is a staggeringly good lens designed to go with Canon's high resolution sensors. I used the 17-40 for many years, and that's a very good lens stopped down, but wouldn't come close for the church interior unless tripod mounted, which isn't always possible under such circumstances. Mine seems to spend a lot of time on my camera, which the 17-40 never did.

4. RogerMac

We may have to agree to differ on that one - trying to get an edge pinch cap off and on at the bottom of a deep lens hood is (to me) just a pain in the butt, The first thing I did when I got my 6D was to get an anonymous strap and cheap lens cap from from 7 day shop. - at least it has the advantage that if I loose it is a cheap replacement and I can keep the original safe and sound.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have/had a system for the old ones, engage one side first then use the side pinch to push it in. Worked very well for me. I struggle with the new ones however I do it, they're always falling off.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My Fuji has centre pinch lens cap and it is awful to put on, have to fiddle for ages and am always dropping it. Never had a problem with Canon caps with the edge clips. I agree that if you put the hood on before taking the cap off it can be a bit fiddly with deep hoods on narrow lenses - like the 100 mm macro - but it isn't that difficult and easier if you take it off first.

7. RogerMac

Since I started this post I have gone home and put the AP test chart on the wall, To my surprise these is very little difference in sharpness between f4 and f8 on this lens, so perhaps the difference I saw in the field is due to DOF considerations.