1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C. Lens - Cannon EF 50mm II

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by Coner Murphy, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

Hello Guys,

I'm going to try and keep this easy on everyone with this review. So below is the link to a video that I did review this lens in with examples included, however, i will still include a brief overview and review of the lens below as well.

Starting on the outside of the lens it is physically small as you would expect for a 50mm prime lens. Due to its small size, it is incredibly light as well, sometimes I forget I even have the lens on it when I'm walking about and think it's just the body...

However, the lens ain't all sunshine and rainbows because if you use the autofocus as many will, it is unbelievably loud... Trying to record video with it as I often to picks up more sound from the focus motor adjusting then you would find on the home straight of an F1 race. This may be in my model which I do hope it is but still not great. With this being said however the lens' autofocus does still perform exceptionally well.

The image quality in this lens is great and made even better when you take into account the price point of just over £100. I have taken images that I am extremely happy with in my time with the lens and I'm sure they're will be some more great ones on the way! Overall I would recommend this lens to people if they are in the market for a cheap prime lens or a great beginners lens to get the grips with.

Below is the link to my video overview:

I hope this helps someone in their buying decision for their next lens :)

Thanks,

Coner

P.S. I am sorry if i have broken any rules within this post, I tried to do as much homework on the rules before posting as this is my first one.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If you want to do video then you would probably better advised to use the new 50mm f1.8 STM with it's digital stepper motor which is reputed to be very quiet. The MkII (and even older MkI) use versions of the original arc form drive which is quite noisy. It's OK for normal pictures but for video I imagine it is pretty much useless - your lens may possibly be noiser than others but none are quiet, mine certainly isn't....

3. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

Hey Nigel,

Sorry, i only just back to my computer to respond.

I was looking into getting that lens the STM one that is. However, the reason I have this one is because it was given to me from a friend as they weren't using it. Normally, I wouldn't use it for video unless I really need the wider aperture and when i do use it for video i make sure to use it on manual focus because as you said the autofocus is simply to loud for video.

In terms of photography, i have had no problems with it all.

Thanks

Coner

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's a decent lens, and excellent for the money; AF is relatively slow, and very noisy as you have found, and the shape of the aperture means it's bokeh isn't brilliant, and build quality is far from great, but, for the money...

5. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

I noticed the slow AF the first time i actually used the lens; in some cases my lens actually completed failed to focus at all... Although like you said for the money you really can't complain at the lens.

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Despite its shortcomings (slow and noisy AF), I have a lot of time for this lens.
    Particularly when used at f/8, my copy is superb... and the price is definitely right.

7. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

I'm going to give it a go, to be honest I've only used the lens at f/1.8 and around that area haven't tried using it with smaller apertures yet. But yeah definitely the lens is great, just not so for video

8. peterba

I have no interest in shooting video, so my comments should be taken only in the context of stills photography. :)

Regarding the use of smaller apertures on this lens - in my experience, going beyond f/11 will start to show diffraction softening. For best results, stay in the range f/4 to f/8, if possible.

9. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

Ahhh okay then, i do quite a bit of both, I'll have to try it using those apertures and see what's its like. I know lens tend not to perform great around there lower and upper limits of aperture but I'm never sure where there best performance is in the range.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends on the format. f11 is arguably the best aperture on full frame.

11. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

I hear that being said a lot about f/11 is there a reason for this at all? Why it is the best?

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Better rather than best, I think. At maximum aperture you have limited depth of field and the image is being formed by the maximum surface area of the elements, which leads to softness and other defects outside the central part of the projected image. At minimum aperture you come up against diffraction effects that again degrade the image. It's a rule of thumb that lenses for 35mm and similar formats provide their best compromise between f5.6 and f11. It's not a rule set in stone but an effect many have noticed.

13. peterba

There's no great difference amongst us, here. The discussion on precisely which aperture is the 'best' could probably run for ever and a day. :)

When using this lens on a full-frame camera, I think it's safe to say that you probably don't want to use apertures of f/16 or smaller, and at the other end, f/2.8 or larger... unless you really must, due to constraints imposed by exposure.

14. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

Hmmm... I guess so, personally, i haven't had the chance to use a Full Frame camera yet but imagine exposure would becoming a limiting factor at some point but i guess it does on any camera.

15. Coner Murphy

Coner Murphy Member

I think i'm going to go play around with my camera and lens' to try and find the sweet spot so to speak but i'm going to guess it'll be around that area.