1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying square filter kit for the Samyang 12mm

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by NotAnotherUserName, Oct 15, 2017.

1. So I've been thinking about investing in a square ND filter kit which I'll mainly use on my 12mm Samyang (18mm FF). I did order some cheap ND filters from eBay just to try it out. The circular 10 stop causes heavy vignetting and the kit of square filters are not very sharp and but the holder itself is just wonky with it's plastics. Thought it could be useful but it motivates me to get some proper stuff.

Been doing some forum searching for what people use but can't really make sense of it. Like everybody else I'm looking for neutral filters that doesn't vignette to heavily, is sharp and doesn't cost a fortune.

The main purpose is to have gradual ND-filters to more easily expose landscape photos with bright skies. I figured I'll need 3 filters, roughly these gradients:
    2-stop soft grad, for evening out bright skies where there's not a flat horizon, eg mountains
    2-stop hard grad, for evening out bright skies where there is a flat horizon and no sillhouettes
    6-stop ND allowing for longer shutter speeds in brighter light. I'm not overly fond of the misty water-look, but would defenitely prefer to smooth out some water movement at given times. I think I would be okay with stopping down to F18-F22 should there be a really bright light.

The only other lense I would use the filter on would be the 18-55 kit zoom, which is smaller. I don't reckon I'll buy that many more lenses that I'll use filters on but it's always good to future-proof gear such as filters. I'm a bit lost when it comes to sizes of the filters, could you advise me on that part? I would prefer not to spend more than 100£ on this.

How would this be for startes together with a step ring?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cokin-P-N...340492&hash=item4b0582609e:g:5JAAAOSwARZXoacr

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Assuming you are using an APSC DSLR, Cokin P filter sizes (85mm) are not wide enough for the 12mm lens. You need the Z Pro size (100mm). You will be able to see the edges of the filter holder in the image with the P series. I speak from experience!

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I bit the bullet and bought Lee grads - I'm not into all this heavy ND stuff. Now I need to take them out of the bag now and again.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Cripes No. They're too expensive to risk getting out of the bag. They're just for show. What's wrong with you man. :)

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. PeteRob

Many have asked!

Craig20264 likes this.
  6. I was suspecting that it might be the case, thank you for confirming that. Glad I can learn from your mistakes instead of making my own!

7. PeteRob

Check also whether you need a special filter holder.