1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying first camera

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Sullivan184, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Sullivan184

Sullivan184 Member

Hello,

I have been looking into buying a camera for a while now but was always put off by the big price tag.

I have decided to buy one and from what I have read, D-SLR is the best option as your not so restricted and you are with a bridge (correct me if i'm wrong).

I would mainly like to take photographs of landscapes. My budget is £300 but will go higher if I really need to (not too high).

Can anyone recommend a shop in London, at the moment I have only checked Currys and Argos
    Currys NIKON D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens – Black £319
    Argos Canon EOS 1300D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens £319

Thank you

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hiya.

It depends what you mean by restricted. My wife would say that I am restricted because I have to change lenses and carry a lot of stuff around with me while she just has one little bridge camera which still has more zoom reach than anything I have got. Newer Bridges with the 1" sensors are very impressive. They are more than your budget but the spend stops there.

Once you get past the compact camera to the interchangeable lens camera you have 2 choices - Compact System Cameras and DSLRs.

If you use the optical view-finder then your choice is DSLR. If you use the rear LCD in what is now called "Liveview" then probably a CSC is best - they are designed with that use in mind and the electronic viewfinders are getting better and better although you have to pick carefully. Developments in the last couple of years have greatly improved their ability to focus on moving subjects which used to be their weak-side. For landscapes they are very good.

The point of interchangeable lens cameras is to be able to change the lens - so you potentially embark on more purchases and "what lens" is probably asked more than "what camera". The lens availability is a factor in choosing a brand. Cameras use different sensor sizes now. The bigger the sensor the better the results but the bigger, heavier and more expensive the lenses. CSCs have 3 main sensor sizes, DSLRs have 2.

The main choice in choosing a camera is its handling so you are wise to look to a shop and get some advice. The main advertisers in AP all have London branches. The only London store I have been in recently is Calumet and that because I got caught in a storm walking out of Euston - it is very close to the side exit of the concourse near platform 18.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If landscapes are your main aim then budget for a tripod as well.

4. Sullivan184

Sullivan184 Member

Restricted as in not being able to use a different lens, which I may not ever need to do, but think I would like to have option to do.

I would use the optical view-finder more, so it looks like a D-SLR would be best.

Will do Martin

Thank you both