1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bull Island Photowalk (2 images)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Jul 11, 2018.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Exercise by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Moonrise, sunset by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Two totally different images taken on a Photowalk I hosted for my camera club.

The Bull Island is a sand spit just of the northern coast of Dublin Bay, less than 5 kilometres from the city centre. It is an internationally recognised bird sanctuary, a 5 kilometre beach, two golf courses and some of the best kite surfing in Europe.

The second shot was a planned shot (but no tripod, too much hassle managing 20+ people and lugging a heavy tripod around). I had used the TPE to know where and when the moon was rising and the sun was setting.

The second was a quick reaction shot - less than 3 seconds from the kids coming into view to being gone!

What do you think?

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Like the first. Well caught.

Second doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid. Nothing wrong with it, just not an interesting scene.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Timing on the first image is spot on but the picture itself is very gloomy. The length and intensity of the shadows shows that there was some reasonably strong sunlight still present yet it isn't apparent in the picture. Were it mine I'd lighten the upper tones while keeping the lesser ones as is. Something like this.... Adrian S.jpg

I think I see what you were aiming for in the second with respect to the placement of the moon relative to the bushes but beyond the triangular effect I'm not getting much from it. Like the bike shot it's muddy and underexposed for my taste, like the bikes I feel it could do with the upper tones brightening (the moon is a bit dull...) and maybe a little warming up too.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  4. AdrianSadlier

Thanks Guys. I think I need to re-visit my monitor calibration. The images look fine on my 28" monitor but darker on the 24".

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Do you keep an eye on the histogram? Checking the levels with Pixlr shows a histogram very much squashed over to the dark end...

Capture.JPG
    The sharp cut off at the right end is very unnatural considering it's almost central which suggests that originally it may have been more like this...

Capture2.JPG

OK it has less mood but it looks rather more realistic on the admittedly uncalibrated monitor I'm currently in front of.

6. AdrianSadlier

[​IMG]

Original RAW file, exported to jpeg. No editing of any sort.

7. RovingMike

Well on my monitor and just looking at levels alone, it seems to need this:

[​IMG]

I see Nige's as a bit light overall.

8. AdrianSadlier

Looking at the image posted above on my 24" monitor it looks dark. But looking at it on my 28" it is brighter and more the way I want it. I will re-calibrate my screens over the weekend and re-edit/re-post when I am happy with the result.

RM, your edit is probably closest to what I wanted (and see on my 28") but to my eye doesn't have the warmth I wanted.

Just goes to show the importance of screen calibration!

9. RovingMike

Fairy snuff. And with sun that low, the colour temp should have been lower. This is with an 85A warming filter:

[​IMG]

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Yes, looking at the histogram, I'd say the moon shot is a good couple of stops under.

,,,,,,,,.jpg 42633877244_515bd2cf48_c.jpg

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Hmm so the histrogram actually is that shape, looks like underexposure rather than a post processing issue then.

True, I didn't bother to adjust the midtones or the overall contrast...