1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budapest

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by dream_police, Jan 9, 2013.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We're off to Budapest in February. My daughter will be taking my old DSLR that I kindly donated to her, and me my new one, so I dare say we'll be competing for the best pics (She has an eye for it, i'll giver her that), so any tips on places to go, touristy and not so?Looking at the weather I appreciate the weather might not be the best then, so might be a bit grey, but hey ho.The only downside is my wife and youngest daughter will also be there, and they humph when I get the camera out, but this time there'll be two of us!

2. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

I like Budapest. You can do most of it on foot, but they do have a pleasant metro and tram system. Anyway, the places I enjoyed (not necessarily photographic as I'm constantly reminded by the better half that we don't go to these places just to take pictures): the market - an old big building not far from the river (just Google Budapest market and Maps will show you). Pick up some smoked paprika whilst you are there.
    the Chain Bridge - particularly at night with the castle in the background or on the other side with the Four Seasons hotel lit up.
    Gelert Park - a good view of the city and river
    The Children's Railway - a rail trip run by children in the suberbs of Buda
    The Fisherman's Bastion - very touristy, but still has to be done.
    Memento Park - with lots of old communist statues.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Nige and Nige's daughter ;)

Here are 453 photos from Budapest's Heroes Square ..
    ... probably a good place to start (off) from :)

Cheers, happy trails and good shooting ..... Nige's daughter,
    give your old dad a chance :D

jack

4. Done_rundleCams

and 405 more pics from around Budapest

:eek:

Jack

5. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

6. Done_rundleCams

7. dream_police

Thanks all.
    My daughter, Hannah, better give me a chance. And Jack, less of the old!;)

8. Done_rundleCams

:D ... my apologies Nice ...... venerable ;)

cheers,

Jack

9. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

I still have Budapest and Prague left in my bucket will do one or the other this year...

10. Done_rundleCams

have ya gone, D_P? Are ya back? If not, check out my work colleague's pics from
    Budapest (autumn 2011):

CLICK HERE ... also, a few from Amsterdam :)

cheers,

Jack

11. dream_police

Not gone yet, Jack. We go on the 19th Feb.

12. TXK

TXK Member

Hello all

Spots in Budapest outside the touristy ones listed really depend upon the time of year that you are there, all have their charm and unique aspects, like anywhere.

Having lived and worked there as an expat, I can recommend a great book to get as a guide is 'Only in Budapest' by Duncan Smith - that gives you a lot of great photo spots that are off the tour trail, like Gul Baba's tomb.

The city is two halves, hilly Buda and flat Pest - a great panoramic spot is Gellert Hegy (Hill) on the Buda side, which gives you a view across most of the city. Var Hegy (Castle Hill) is also in Buda and still carries the scars of the WW2 seige (longer than Stalingrad) in places.

If you are into spotting the few remaining areas of bullet holes and damage from WWII and 1956, or urban landscapes, then make sure to walk the backstreets of the 8th District, off to the south of Keleti Palyudvar (Eastern Railway Station) - but this can a bit of a rough area, so make sure that you blend in, look like you know where you are going and don't flash the kit too much.

Similar but more user friendly is the 7th District, to the north of Keleti, particularly the church in Rozsa Ter (Rose Square) and back down towards the Dohany Utca synagogue, which is worth a visit itself.

The Varosliget (City Park) is worth a visit with the Vajdahunyad Castle - also an agricultural museum in a 2/3 scale reconstruction of a Transylvanian Castle - plus the railway museum in walking distance of Heroes Square and right next to the great open air ice skating rink (biggest in Europe) / boating lake with the restored changing rooms and restaurants next to it.

All that's before you think of the Terror Haza museum, Liszt Music Academy, Margit Sziget (Island in the Danube)...

Outside Budapest, especially in summer, you could go north to Szentendre up on the Danube Bend on the Hev suburban train, or down to Lake Balaton. Further afield you get out on the European end of the great steppe on the Puszta with the gulyak (cowboys) making their famous and eponymous beef soup - gulyas leves (goulash).

Hungary has also produced a lot of photographers - Robert Capa of Magnum fame being a magyar - with some interesting things at the House of Photographers, just of Andrassy Ut.

As you can tell, I love the place - go, be nice, enjoy - tessek!