1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buckhurst Hill/nearby dark spots..

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by CarlSloan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. CarlSloan

CarlSloan Member

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew of any really good dark areas around the Buckhurst Hill/Chingford area that would be perfect for getting some good star/night sky photographs? It's apparently perfect weather for it tonight, and I'm scratching my head trying to think of decent place to go that would be really dark and not affected by any streetlight. Thanks!

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a dark sky in London. You need to get way out into the sticks for a truly dark sky.

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Brecon Beacons is your nearest dark area.

You are unfortunately in the Essex bling triangle.:)

4. CarlSloan

CarlSloan Member

Ah man! So, Brecon Beacons, hmm. I shall check it out....WALES?? Oh dear god, seriously telling me I have to travel the width of the country to get a dark spot.. Thanks!

What about Northampton? I used to live there and can get there quite easily. Is there a nice spot near there?

5. thornrider

Brecon Beacons - visible through our kitchen window - has just been declared only the second dark skies protected park in the UK - other one is in Scotland.

I was born in Essex and escaped when all the London overspill mob moved in - used to play cricket all around Loughton, Buckhurst Hill, Romford, Ch.ngford etc so know just how built up everything is.

People are suggesting East Mersea might be a possibility - and useful website attached below. Good luck.

http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Ah, another willow swinger. I still play in the two counties (Essex/Suffolk) league, furthest south we get is Maldon/Witham, and I use the term play very loosely indeed.

7. thornrider

I played for Harold Wood CC for about 15 years - maybe your club used to play against us.