1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buckfast Butterfly Farm

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by OneTen, Feb 19, 2008.

1. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

The subject of a butterfly farm came up in the appraisal gallery and it's somewhere I'd like to visit. Have any of the Devon contingent or anyone else for that matter visited Dartmoor Otters and Buckfast Butterflies?

2. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Now that is spooky I was just emailing Colin (Badgerman) about a possible Devon meet. Buckfast is just up the road from me and is a cracking day out and is not really weather dependent. It actually consists of 3 sites, you have the steam railway, plus the otters and possibly most interesting the butterflies. The nice thing is that one ticket covers all – I posted a whole series of shots when I visited last year, it is a great opportunity to develop your macro skills. The only problem is the humidity, you need to have plenty of time for the condensation to clear when you enter the main room – this is the sort of thing you can get...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would be happy to have a meet if this would be of interest??

3. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

I would be up for a meet :)

4. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Wonderful shots John, I'd be up for a meet there.

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Make a point of visiting every time we go to Devon. Bit far to go for a meet though! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Holding the camera up to hot air blasting out a fan over the entrance (and exit) doors in the butterfly farm near me seems to help get the camera up to temp quicker ;)

Do they have lizards n stuff with a feeding time?

7. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

TBH, I don't spend that much time with the butterflies (Not really into insects). I tend to head straight for the otters. It is important to go at feeding times as you are guaranteed to see the otters and the keeper will give a talk as he/she feeds them, raw meat but nothing alive.

It can get a bit cutthroat when it comes to getting a good position when moving from pen to pen so a longish lens is always a good idea.

8. Badgerman

John has asked me to put up some dates so I have chose next month for starters..ie March.....from 19th to 27th...excluding 22nd and 23rd which are sat,sun. we are trying for a week day....any takers :)

9. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I shall be there in spirit. Tell the to chuck a bit of meat in for me! :D

BTW, I'm extremely jealous! :mad: :eek:

10. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I'll be a definate, so count me in. :D

11. Badgerman

Will look forward to meeting you Richard, And sorry you can't make it Marc...maybe next time. :)

12. Badgerman

Wife has just reminded me that in the middle of the dates above, there is a bank holiday weekend......so we are looking at March 19th, 20th, 25th, 26th, 27th :)

13. John_Baker

I am good for all days apart from 19 which has a large meeting I cannot get out of!! Wed 26 would be my preferred, but not essential...

14. Badgerman

Shall we go for the 26th then?...how about you Richard.

If the dates ok, shall we put it up in the lounge to see if anyone else is interested etc?.

15. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Yep, 26th is fine. :D

16. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

26th sounds good to me too.

If anyone needs transport from Exeter, drop me a PM.

17. John_Baker

Great to have you on board...
    A couple more pics to stimulate interest, this time from each of the attractions...

Trains - should be stuff moving around, plus lots of static displays...
    [​IMG]

Otters - for those who like a challenge!!!
    [​IMG]

Plus the Butterflies...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :eek:

18. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

B****r. I'm off the week before. I'll see if I can change my leave. Watch this space!!!!

19. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I hope you can make it Steve.

20. Badgerman

Poss 5 at the moment, (6 if I bring the wife) looking good - hope everyone can make it.
    Great place to visit :)