1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by aiwa_yamaha, Jul 2, 2007.

1. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Before i go into any detial, does anyone have AOL broadband? Or does anyones internet ever say "a network cable is unplugged and have yellow arrows sometimes instead of green?

It has been going on for far to long and i am going to try find out if i can do it simply or what i need to do to get it fixed. I have asked the AOL help people and never really get anywhere.

2. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

it ses network cable if, well the computer detects that your network cable is unplugged, how do you access you internet,?? throught broadband modem? plugged into wireless router?? although id like to blame AOL it dosent sound like its there problem, when it ses this, does your internet still work, or do you have to re connect??

3. aiwa_yamaha

It's a broadband Modem, sometimes on a network cable unplugged the green arrows will just stay green and will not have a problem, but sometimes it will swtich to having no signal (yellow arrows) to then having signal (green arrows) for a few minutes. And when that happens it is so annoying.

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

It could be a problem with your phone line. Get BT to check it for you. Also check you don't have a duff extension lead if you are using one and that the extension lead isn't too long. Also make sure you don't have too many items plugged in to your line. Check the filters also in case one is faulty.

BigWill

5. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

as usual, try uninstalling your modem driver then re install, also try a different usb port (if your modem is usb) and unconnect then reconnect the phoneline and all connectors a couple of times, like you would with batteries in a remote

6. aiwa_yamaha

Pretty much tried all the advice. Cheers anyway. I was just hoping someone had the same problem and knew what exactly what to do.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Try a replacement ethernet cable, they need to be completely undamaged, a kink can be enough to give the problem you describe.

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

If it's a USB modem, then that may be the problem, as USB (even 2.0) isn't really designed for high-speed communications.

My USB broadband modem used to do something similar - it very rarely worked unless I plugged it in after I'd booted the PC up. And occasionally the green light would start flashing red even after it had been working okay, necessitating unplugging and plugging it in again.

I bought a wireless modem-router and haven't had any problems since!
    :rolleyes:

9. aiwa_yamaha

Yeah i think i'll get the wireless router.

10. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I've found it a lot less hassle! ;)

11. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

I went through a period of loosing my internet connection intermittently, which doesn't sound too different to what you're experiencing.

My ISP assured me the problem was with my modem/router, so I complained to Netgear who sent me a replacement but it made no difference.

I had enormous problems persuading my ISP that the problem was with the phone line, but when they eventually agreed to get BT out to check out the line that was where the problem was.

The BT guy spent around 4 hours checking the line all the way back to the exchange and trying to get us 'maximum gain'. Whilst it's still not good as we're not close enough to the exchange it is much more reliable.

In short, don't let your ISP fob you off. The problem may not be yours.

12. jeffA

jeffA Well-Known Member

I lost my AOLconnection for a few days after the heavy rain up here,tried everything then a friend told me he had the same problem,eventually found out that local exchange had problems with flooding.Phone kept working throughout the broadband problem
    Jeff

13. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

It's not that surprising your phone kept working as cramming broadbad over the top of a phone line does push it well over it's designed purpose!

14. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

If the modem is plugged into the USB port, does it have it's own power supply??

If it doesn't, what other bits you got plugged into the USB ports that are not seperately powered?

Each time something is plugged into the USB ports they take a small amount of power from the main PC, and if you've got a small-ish power supply, then the heavily drained bits plugged in the ports are the ones that don't get enough power..

I'd suggest, you unplug everything from the Ports, and try it with just the Modem in to see if that rectifies the problem and then plug more inm to see if the error occurs again. If this happens then your power supply on your pc isn't powerful enough to supply everything you've got going on!!

Dux