1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Heritage

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Nigel_Atherton, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

We're looking for suggestions and nominations on the most photogenic examples of British Heritage for a forthcoming feature in WDC.

By heritage we mean castles, churches and cathedrals, stately homes, picturesque villages, thatched cottages, bridges and viaducts, power stations and Victorian industrial architecture, statues and monuments, etc.

Post your suggestions here, and of course links to any outstanding pictorial examples are most welcome.

2. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

Whitby Abbey.

G>

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Edinburgh - almost all of it.
    Kenilworth Castle.
    Warwick Castle.
    York - almost all of it, again.
    Bourton-on-the-Water
    Ironbridge
    Salisbury - the cathedral, and some other bits - with Stonehenge nearby, of course

4. Bodiam Castle in Sussex should be added to the list - everybody's idea of what a moated castle should look like!

Paul

5. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Thanks all. Keep em coming. No nominations yet for anywhere in my old neck of the woods, the West Country, and no-one seems to want to champion Wales at all...

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Caernarvon, Caerphilly, Harlech Castles and the rest, Menai Bridge, Tintern Abbey.

Brighton Pavillion, Scarborough Castle, etc

But English Heritage shot them all yonks ago.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I think you ought to offer a special prize for a reader finding something worth considering as English heritage in Buckinghamshire, as I believe it's the only county with no mention in the EH year book. I don't think our local concrete cows are old enough yet.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Er, Waddesdon. Pretty photogenic that.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

One of my favourites...

... is Ightham Mote - absolutely English, it couldn't be anywhere else in the world but England.

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I agree, but it's in the care of The National Trust.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

But that's irrelevant to the original post Shirley?

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say I can't see the connection, either. :D

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

worth photographing in Nottingham... a couple of pubs...Trip to Jerusalem, Salutation, Royal Children...and probably more....Wollaton Hall is nice-Elizabethan House surrounded by deer park and golf course, including a dirty great Camelia House

14. Actually there is a degree of confusion here between British Heritage (i.e Not the National Trust) and British Heritage (i.e. Historic Buildings) I assumed the latter and suggested Bodiam Castle even though is is NT.

Somebody mentioned Wales!

Well I have just happened to have finished a page for the cottage firm I work for listing & linking to CADW (Welsh Heritage Organisation) or the National Trust all the historic buildings & monuments of Wales

Over 200 to select from!

Paul

15. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Do you mean ENGLISH Heritage ???
    Seems like a probable source of confusion.

Graeme

16. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I would suggest Culzean Castle, Mount Stewart on Bute, Edinburgh or Crail.

Graeme

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But there's no such organisation as British Heritage - English Heritage, yes, but as you point out, Cadw perform the same function in Wales, and Historic Scotland do in Scotland, and Manx National Heritage do on the Isle of Man. Heaven only knows what happens in Northern Ireland... ;)

18. Got confused - happens when you are elderly!

I meant really to clarify the point Zou made about the National Trust which he assumed was not part of British aka English Heritage. Explains why you didn't make the connection he did!

Paul

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I think it's fairly clear that this was not intended to be a search for properties/locations under the management of any specific organisation. Perhaps it would have been better worded as "Britain's heritage" or "the heritage of Britain."

Back to the initial idea, Craigievar Castle must surely rank as one of the finest decorational castles in the UK.

Of course there must be a mention for Lacock, not just for its village and abbey but also the Talbot connection.

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Re: One of my favourites...

Well apart from Wales, or the Scottish borders or Northern France, but apart from that ... ;)