1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bring back slavery!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The Free Market is, according to our Beloved Helmsman, Chairman and Leader Theresa May Tse-Tung, the only possible option.

Now, what stops us buying and selling people, and sending children up chimneys and down the mines?

Clearly not the Free Market. Decent people impose limits on the Free Market.

So let's vote for the parties with the most sensible and practical limits.

Clue: not the Tories.

Cheers,

R.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What a modest proposal. ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Do we have any mines left to send them down?o_O

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Lithium mines in (occupied) Cornwall?

Mind you, the poor little buggers will need to know how to swim in very hot water as well...

Cheers,

R.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

What will happen to your pension Roger, if Corbyn won power?
    The 15% annual inflation and corresponding drop in the pound that happened in the mid seventies under a a labour government is nothing compared to what would happen under Corbyn. We would be in the same position as Germany with hyper inflation in the early thirties. You do know where that lead don't you? The ultra right are already gaining support in Northern towns over other issues.
    I think Roger, that your post is the most ridiculous post that you have ever made. The idea that the Tories support slavery is both stupid and insulting.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'm impressed that you discerned even this much from her speech, Roger. Whenever I've heard her speak, she has said absolutely nothing at all. Plenty of words, but nothing at all.

She really is bloody useless. I make strenuous efforts to avoid listening to her, now.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

To quote someone or other, "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Actually, inflation was rocketing under Heath, continued to rise under Labour before falling back to about 7% and then shot back up to about 22% under Thatcher. Looks like the Tories made a bit of a pig's ear in the 70's.
    https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/2647/economics/history-of-inflation-in-uk/

S

ps and I remember paying 16% on the mortgage under Thatcher.

Andrew Flannigan and peterba like this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Ah, yes... the Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel. Superb. :)

I certainly try to disregard anything that our current PM says.

10. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

Mines will be provided.

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Why is it that every time someone blames Labour for economic problems some spoilsport comes along and points out that the Tories have mismanaged our economy even worse? Are they all related to that little boy in the crowd who shouted out that the emperor was starkers?

Roger Hicks, peterba and John Farrell like this.
  12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Sorry.

S

Andrew Flannigan and spinno like this.
  13. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

It always baffles me on these political debates how people always try to claim how one lot will / had ruined the country .
    That the party they support must be the best and only option for the country .

Think about it .
    Hundreds of years of assorted government shows us one thing .

Their all as bad as each other !

14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I suspect she's putting a brave face on the only option she has. We are going from a highly protectionist trading group to an open market outside of it, which is only open to those that are not members of highly protectionist trading groups.

I wonder if a return to pillage could be an answer? We could get all these long ships and go up and down the coast of Europe, or elsewhere, landing as we see fit.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The value of the pound will drop.
    Purchasing power will drop.
    Prices will rise to compensate.
    Inflation will rise.
    Eventually wages will rise (due to strikes etc).
    Money earned in taxes will rise.
    Debt ratio will fall.
    We will be no better off because of the shift, but debt will have fallen, so the Government will claim it a success.

It will happen.

PS Slavery would be good to gather in our crops. All those on work-related benefits be offered that work - or any other work formerly carried out by immigrant populations.
    If the farmers don't like it? Cut their subsidies.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They are not actually debates in reality. They are people with completely fixed views making the same points time and again, regardless of what may or may not have occurred in the past. Most governments manage to achieve some progress in some way and fail in many others, the worst is that all are unable to learn from past mistakes, regardless of their political leanings.

With regard to Brexit, the bulk of the political opinion was remain, the campaign to remain was badly run, not helped by division within the Conservative party and the lukewarm Labour effort. That a majority in a referendum, albeit a small one went against this does show that if nothing else many politicians are/were not in touch with people's views on the matter and did insufficient to win them over.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Ideological blinkers and tunnel vision rule, OK?!

Lynn

neilt3 likes this.
  18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Is this yet another disguised (ableit thinly) Brexit thread?

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

....could be...:rolleyes:

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

No it isn't. You can't prove it is. Anyway we weren't here. Alright? :cool: